Hello, My Name is Aidin

Happy new year!

I am a (learning) technology enthusiast working at UBC in the Department of Psychology. I come from a background of software development. I graduated with a joint degree in Computing Science and Business and have since been involved with several startups, including and a couple of times as a co-founder. I started working at UBC a bit over 5 years ago and ever since being immersed in this educational environment, I’ve gained an intense appreciation for teaching and learning technologies, and specifically for software that aids that. That’s what has drawn me to the MET program, where I have taken 2 courses already, with this being my 3rd. At UBC, I work on some research projects as a software developer, creating apps together with researchers and students. The apps I work on help with the research objectives (for example in the areas of bipolar disorder and autism) and some of them are geared towards learning.

One app that I’m particularly keen on developing further is called Tapestry Tool, which is a tool for students and teachers to co-create content together in a non-linear way. We have been working on this tool for a few years and it’s been used both by faculty and students in the University and by other organizations outside of UBC as well. What Tapestry offers is a unique way for people to create pieces of content and create meaningful connections between those pieces of content, presented in a graphical form. I work with some incredible people on this project including Dr. Steven Barnes, who is the primary investigator of this project at UBC, faculty at UBC who dare to experiment with new technologies to improve the way they deliver their courses, and a myriad of talented students and research assistants who help make this project come true. We recently got additional funding to further develop and market this app, which is exciting and a great timing for me to be in this course.

I hope that the skills and knowledge I take away from this course will help me improve the applications I build and be able to “sell” them. My goal is that at least some of these applications will become somewhat ubiquitous and offer new tools that will enhance teaching and learning.

Outside of my “job”, I am a husband and love traveling. I enjoy travelling in Canada and it’s still my favorite place on Earth but outside of that, my favorite country for traveling is Indonesia because of its natural beauty and peaceful vibes. Here’s a picture I took with my drone from a sandcay close to the Flores island:

What’s your favorite place to travel to?

2 responses to “Hello, My Name is Aidin”

1. cindy keung

Hi Aidin!

We met at one of the workshops you conducted with ARTS ISIT, to teach us about Tapestry! It is very cool and I have often thought about it. I wish I had the opportunity to dive deeper into its features and highlight the benefits of using it in the classroom!

2. robyn godard

Hi Aiden! Nice to meet you – wow what a cool project you are working on with Tapestry Tool. I took a quick look at the website, but what an interesting project- would love to learn more!
    Also beautiful picture from Flores Island – when where you there? One of my favorite places that I have travelled to is Colombia!