TikTok for #Learning

I felt your skepticism when you clicked on this post…

TikTok is one of the top used social media apps, and there is a learning community that shouldn’t be dismissed.

Even if one decides to not integrate TikTok into their learning environment, it is important to understand how the learning environment is being impacted by TikTok (& Instagram Reels, etc.) since it is affecting our attention spans.

From a Workplace Learning perspective:

From a K-12 Learning perspective:

• Variety in representation of information: When following Universal Design for Learning best practices, showing multiple ways of representation information is ideal for learners. Adding TikTok to your repretoire of learning can allow certain learners to absorb the information beyond textbooks, wikis, photos. Example: https://www.tiktok.com/@mrs.b.tv/video/6984096666076974341
  • Engagement: It can be used as a tool to increase engagement on a learning topic as it can capture interest or create an environment to let students comment who wouldn’t normally.
  • Creativity: It can be used as a medium for students to present information.

Some more links:

Important: Before introducing this as a learning tool, an educator must understand the user privacy policies and ensure safety for their learners. One may not want students to engage on the app (or not be allowed to). However, that doesn’t mean it can’t be used as a source of content or inspiration. Lastly, just because it is on TikTok, it doesn’t mean the information is correct. Make sure you fact-check!

7 responses to “TikTok for #Learning”

1. Ally Darling-Beaudoin

Marie-Eve, I LOVE that you chose to tackle the “30-seconds-or-less” or “explain it like I’m 5” learning that is happening all around us. Like you say, since it is free-flowing, un-fact-checked information that has a general perception of being packaged “only” for entertainment, educators are (rightly) hesitant to embrace it in their learning environments. That said, TikTok may be the latest and greatest, but the concept of packaging learning into bite-sized, entertaining, and digestible morsels is certainly not new, and aligns quite nicely with many concepts of gamification. I think it has a place, and a relevance, in educational environments.
    .
    While I was pondering this, I took a moment to consider my own perspective, as best I can: how would I feel if my instructors brought TikTok into the classroom? I think in K-12, I would think it was an interesting and worthwhile effort, and that it was “fun.” Once I thought about Higher Ed I felt like my expectations shifted to something more “serious”, and I wouldn’t like it. We’ve talked about the seriousness of education in other courses… necessary or not? A separate conversation! Interestingly, once I started thinking about Corporate Ed, I was back on board for the “fun” style of learning. Do you think there’s a difference in integration for things like TikTok across the markets identified by “The Cube”?

1. Marie-Eve Masse

Thanks for adding to the discussion, Ally. I think there are learners wanting to absorb information in different ways, even if they are part of the same facet of ‘The Cube’. I see TikTok (or other bite-sized learning) as one way to present information but not the only way. To your point on Higher Ed, I remember a few semesters ago being challenged by needing to submit assignments with only 400 words – every word had to count. It was harder than writing a longer assignment, to be honest. If a professor were to ever bring in TikTok into the classroom and ask me to create a video about what a just learned (learning theories come to mind), I would find it a challenge but it would be one that I would be up for. How would I present the information I just learned to others in an engaging or meaningful way? This would definitely deepen my learning!

2. mary hui

Hi Marie-Eve, I can relate to your point on ‘self-development’ since I also use TikTok for Excel tutorials as well. Outside of this realm, there has been significant benefits for public health and medical education. Channels such as @medicineexplained or @doctormike delivers education materials in an engaging way and they have quite a huge following. TikTok is a great marketing tool. It eliminates the barrier for educators to cater their teaching materials to a certain student demographic since the algorithm automatically display the most relevant videos to their FYP. Constructivism can also be at play. While teachers can create fun, engaging teaching video, K-12 students can also create their own short videos based on what they are learning /have learned. This can really create a collaborative space and eliminates the teacher / student hierarchy present in the traditional classroom. I really think TikTok is a great EdTech since students can absorb materials so quickly. Is there a subject that could be easier to teach / market on Tiktok than another subject? How do you envision this to work?

1. mary hui
    2. Marie-Eve Masse

Thanks for bringing in Constructivism and collaborative space to the conversation, Mary! These are great benefits. As for subjects being better than others – I am not a practicing K-12 educator but did specialize in Art Ed for my undergrad. I would see art as a great subject to integrate TikTok into. A little Art History project could be submitted via TikTok or showing the process in creating a project…

3. Wynn Zhang

Hi Marie-Eve, Very cool usage of TikTok as a way to further engage students. I find that any social media has the potential to provide lots of content for its users to take in. As I find my students to be more well-versed in trends in social media, I definitely agree that smaller chunks of information in a sensationalistic manner could benefit some learners. I know that my school district frowns upon using any sites/apps that are not teacher curated with data storage that is not within Canada. I’m wondering if you have tried to create any content on TikTok for your classrooms?

1. Marie-Eve Masse

Hi Wynn – Yes, I can see data storage compliance being a barrier for many classrooms, and fair enough. That said, I actually have learned from mostly downloaded TikToks that my co-workers share with me. One way to integrate it is by showing downloaded ones, which wouldn’t need the app. Just a thought! I am in the workplace learning space and do not deal with the same issue. Our business is expanding to using TikTok this year for the consumer side – I am really curious to see how it turns out. I haven’t quite figured out if I will use it on the workplace learning side yet. One thing that comes to mind is creating content on bike maintenance that would be valuable for both our customers and for our staff. My issue is more the fact that it is a public space, anything uploaded is accessible to anyone, unlike our current training videos, which are meant for internal eyes only…