Seth’s Introduction

Hi Everyone!

I am a little late adding my first post, but better late than never.

My name is Seth Armitage and I am now in my second class of the MET program. Before the fall semester it had been awhile since I had been in any sort of class setting, having graduated from Utah State University Business School in 2012. After graduating I moved back to Canada and started working at a bank and did that for 8 years before I decided to make a change. I made the change to start working for my community, Adams Lake Indian Band located in Chase BC, in helping preserve the Secwepemc language called Secwepemctsin. I went to a Secwepemctsin immersion school called Chief Atahm School that my mom and a group of parents had started, until I was in grade 10. In early 2020 I felt that after 8 years at the bank it was time that I put my unique set of skills with Secwepemctsin to work and help preserve the language while a number of our elders are still around. That leads me to today where in the MET program I hope to gain the skills to help me to teach Secwepemctsin at a University level. Making the switch from the business world to education has and will continue to be quite the challenge for me, but I look forward to what this new path will bring.

Beyond what has lead me to this program my partner and I currently live at UBC and we are kept busy by working full time and have a 13 month old son together and my partner has a 4 year old son. I love playing and watching hockey and am so glad that we are able to watch live Canucks games again this year! And my featured image is from a trip to Puerto Vallarta in 2020 a few weeks before the pandemic began.

I am excited about this course as it has a combination of the business world and education and I look forward to learning with everyone.