Assistive Technologies

This is a RePost of the original AI in AT posting by Joseph Kwan and Joyce Lo.

Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Assistive Technology (AT) are different technologies that have been increasing in importance in recent years. AI is when computer systems perform tasks that normally require human intelligence, such as recognizing speech, identifying objects, learning, making decisions, and solving problems. AT is generally defined as any equipment, product, or service that can make society more inclusive. AI advancements improve the use of AT and has significant potential in enhancing inclusion, independence, and participation for people with disabilities.

AI in AT explores how AI and AT work together to support people with disabilities. The combination of these two emerging technologies help society become more inclusive and promote opportunities in school, home, work, and community settings.

Opportunity Statement: 

The World Health Organization estimates that one billion people currently need AT, with this number increasing to two billion by 2050. Yet, only one in ten users have access to AT, creating a significant market gap and need. AI enhances AT user experiences by improving speed, accuracy, and accessibility. The field of incorporating AI with AT is relatively new and ample opportunities exist for new and exciting ventures to improve people’s lives.

Essential Resources:

AI in AT OER

Legislation will build a more accessible, inclusive B.C.

AI gave Stephen Hawking the ability to communicate

How AI is Improving AT

How A.I. can Empower Assistive Technology and Reduce Inequality

( Average Rating: 2.5 )

2 responses to “Assistive Technologies”

1. nstokes1

Artificial intelligence in assistive technology is such an interesting field. I have worked as a 1:1 aid as well as the classroom teacher for children with various learning and physical disabilities who require assistive tools to be able to participate. For a personal example, with the advancement of hearing aids, a friend of mine has recently received their first hearing aid that is connected to an app on their phone so the modes can be changed for the environment so now in different settings they can participate more in conversations and understand more of what is being said. They joked “I am now AI” whilst showing off the app and said that they are willing to go to more events because they feel it will be a better experience. In the classroom when students had hearing aids, wheelchairs, or iPads with adaptive technology sometimes it was clear that the students were being “othered” with their tools. Other times students particularly with the case of the iPad for a student who was non-speaking autistic to be able to communicate, they would try to borrow it to be able to use it themselves because it was such a “cool” piece of technology. I hope that the development of tools such as these is such that they are just like any other tool in the classroom that students can use when they need or to just experience the world differently. It would teach a lot of compassion and understanding for why someone needs something as opposed to “we can’t ask about that”. I believe that schools should be a place of inclusivity and where everyone has the tools they need to succeed but also a place of acceptance and true inclusion without barriers. I believe that AI in assistive technology is one of the ways to remove barriers for learners which in turn helps others that the technology may not have even been intended for. A very low-tech example is how ramps were intended for wheelchair users but they are extremely helpful for anyone with strollers, issues climbing stairs, and so many more that were not necessarily the intended users. I believe that having students with these types of tools in the classroom will inspire students to create new technology to help move our society forward to inclusion outside the classroom. When you know someone who needs technology like this and see how it changes their lives, it helps to inspire ways of including them in decision-making processes. I truly hope that awareness for the need for affordable and accessible AI will impact far more elements of our world than the individuals they are intended for.

2. Rich

When I first saw the title Assistive Technologies (AT) my thoughts were more about AI Co-pilot technologies, which I think will be very opportunistic. As AT is defined here however, I think this is an exciting area (in terms of potentially solving problems to enhance people’s quality of life). The government in our province of BC is strongly signaling that accessibility is a priority. As human labour supply is a challenge, solutions may also be found in design and technology. The issue is not that of individual outliers, as 25% of people in BC identify as having some type of disability. https://engage.gov.bc.ca/govtogetherbc/engagement/accessibility-through-legislation-results/ This is an important challenge for educational institutions in regard to being inclusive. Technology may have an important role to play if we are to effectively meet this challenge.