Hello from gillian

Hello fellow METers …

Off of the waiting list and into the fire! This is my EIGHTH course, and while I am close to the end of my MET journey, it appears it will be extended a little longer as I will be taking next semester off awaiting the arrival of my first child in November. I am hoping that pregnancy brain is just a myth, but I admit I have already had a few moments …

Professionally, I am an Adult educator with the Vancouver School Board – a job I have loved for the past 10 years. It has been a very stressful year with budget shortfalls, cutbacks, threats of relocation, job action and recently announced ministry funding changes to adult education programmes. That being said, I view this course as a very exciting and very relevant opportunity.

Adult ed, although publicly funded, operates very much like a business. Our funding and growth depends on the number of students we can attract to our program. Innovations in course delivery methods has helped us maintain and grow our registration numbers and provide more flexibility for our students despite funding issues. My hope is to explore newer ‘ventures’ that can be implemented for the future of adult education in the province and provide new opportunities for growth. To be practical, I am also interested in exploring other possible ‘ventures’ outside of adult ed and the public sphere of education.

It appears we have a very dynamic and diverse group; I am looking forward to learning from all of you.

gillian

Posted in: Uncategorized