Hi! I’m Dan from Northern Ontario

Hi everybody!

Here’s some instrumental music to listen to as you read: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23UF3haMYqg

I’m in my second semester of the MET and I’m studying full time. After a semester of 4 courses, I’m taking 3 more now (ETEC 511 and EPSE 410). I’m in Timmins, Ontario but recently spent a few months in Toronto and absolutely loved it there! It was great to be able to go to the theatre as often as I wanted! I was there for the Busker festival which was a few days of constant fun and good food! There was also the Zombie walk. It was fantastic to see so many people taking a break from life by being dead for a while! Hopefully I’ll make it back to Toronto.

My background is in chemistry, but I switched to teaching for a while. That led to my being a part of several projects for creating technology-based teaching materials and online courses. I enjoyed the combination of learning about different subjects and the creative process, so I decided to study educational technology and here I am!

Throughout all of that, I got hired at the Canadian Museum of Nature in Ottawa, and am still an employee there, on leave. I’ve been able to use what I’ve learned in the MET to help the CMN improve the quality of their teaching materials. I’m looking to work in educational technology in the fall, either full time or by contract, so if you know of any interesting companies, please let me know! I’m not really limited, geographically speaking, but I would like to stay in Canada.

I just got a fun question on Facebook, so I thought I’d post it here: What makes you smile? Here’s my answer: The zygomaticus major and minor, the orbicularis oculi, the levator labii superioris and several other muscles make me smile. Other things that make me smile: my nephew and niece, the discovery of a new type of chocolate candy or recipe, and that moment when I manage to purchase tickets to see a play in Toronto – especially AFTER the show has sold out!

Cheers,

Danielle

P.S. I noticed there’s another Danielle here, so to minimize confusion, I’ll go by Dan.

P.P.S. I tried to change my avatar using all three aceptable formats with no success. Got advice?

Posted in: Uncategorized