I chose to review the eLearning Coach ar…

I chose to review the eLearning Coach article entitled “Learning Technology Trends to Watch in 2012”. Eight emerging trends that would be of interest to educators as well as learning technology specialists and venturers were identified in the article. Specifically, the article highlighted the following trends: backchannel, content curation, developing in the cloud, the expanded role of the instructional designer, flipped learning, gamification, HTML 5 for mobile and new blended learning.

I thought the author of the article did a great job summarizing each trend and I really liked that she chose to provide examples to illustrate each one. In many cases, the author provided an overview of the concept and included a live link so the reader could go to a website to obtain additional information if desired. For example, the backchannel discussion included a link to a site maintained by David Kelly which provided resources from a number of different conferences and events. Another example I found particularly relevant was the link to the content curation websites. Viewing the eLearning site curated by Paulo Simões helped me envision how I could use this site to remain up-to-date with my own professional development.

There were some trends with which I was completely unfamiliar such as flipped learning, backchannel and HTML 5 for mobile. In the case of the latter, the author provided technical information in layperson’s terms so it could be easily understood. Visiting the websites identified in the article allowed me to delve into trends that interested me in more detail. Simply being made aware of the trend also led me to seek additional information on the topic. For example, I completed a search for flipped learning and located an article about an educator in Colorado who developed and has used the strategy with a great deal of success. The educator outlined the uses of this trend in his math classroom. Since I occasionally teach math, I found the discussion very interesting and passed the article along to the Head of the Math department at my school.

One of the shortcomings of the article is the author did not explain the criteria used to select the trends included in the report. It would have been nice to know whether the trends were selected because they were new, have the most potential to influence student learning, represent large potential markets, or some other criterion.

In addition, I found the summary to be unbalanced as the author did not identify any disadvantages or risks associated with the trends. For example, the flipped learning trend involves using class time to collaborate on problem solving and a student’s daily homework consists of viewing a YouTube video of the theory behind the day’s activity. One obvious risk of this approach is that students may not complete their homework and would not have a good understanding of the particular concept. From an educator’s perspective, this trend assumes access to technology to make the videos, as well as a significant time investment to film and upload the videos five days a week.

I would certainly look for future versions of this report. The information was current, easy to understand and I could see the applicability of many of the trends to my own teaching practice and professional development.

Kelly, D. (2011). Misadventures in learning. Retrieved from http://misadventuresinlearning.blogspot.ca/2011/10/conference-backchannels-archive-of.html

Malamed, C. (2012). Learning technology trends to watch in 2012. Retrieved from http://theelearningcoach.com/elearning2-0/learning-technology-trends-for-2012/

Pink, D. (2010). Think tank: Flip-thinking – the new buzz word sweeping the US. Retrieved from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/businessclub/7996379/Daniel-Pinks-Think-Tank-Flip-thinking-the-new-buzz-word-sweeping-the-US.html

Posted in: Uncategorized