Top 10 Strategic Technologies for 2012: A Review of Gartner, Inc.’s List

I chose to review Gartner, Inc.’s list of the 10 most strategic technologies for 2012.  The article itself was straightforward, and although it did not specifically target the field of education, it does provide insight into some established and emerging technologies that educators should consider integrating into their classrooms.

The technologies and devices listed in this report as “strategic” generally have a few pertinent details in common: increasing connectivity (to the Internet, to social networks, to the workplace, to consumers, etc.) and decrease complexity for users and the environment (greener products, greater compatibility, more automated customization). As someone who relies on certain technologies rather heavily but is not by any means on the ‘cutting edge’ of it, I appreciated the accessibility of the article and could envision how each technology could have increasing impact on businesses/education/consumers.  The article also made me realize how old school my use of technology is in many ways, as I have yet to graduate to a mobile-centric attitude and fall in love with tablets, which are not yet a suitable alternative to a computer for me – probably because I work (and play) extensively with Photoshop and none of the tablets I have used met that ‘need’.

A concern I had reading about these technologies was that they appear to encroach on privacy more than ever before, especially in terms of user-aware technologies. While there are benefits to this, it’s a bit disconcerting to think of the information we willingly and unwillingly share with ‘the world’.

Posted in: Uncategorized