Review of Chris Dawson’s Top 5 Ed Tech Predictions for 2011

I chose to review “Top 10 Ed Tech predictions for 2011.” The first half of this article summarizes some of the frequently discussed education topics or challenges including: 

• how to improve teaching and learning while integrating technology, 
  • personalized learning, 
  • product-based assessment, and
  • conceptual learning.

With the first five summaries being contributed by a Dell manager it was no surprise that Dell learning platforms and products were promoted. What these summaries lacked were comparison between Dell technology and competitors’ technology leading to me questioning the credibility of the article. The first half of the article had a promotional tone which I resented. At times I almost felt as though I was reading an advertisement. 

In addition, I questioned some of the content. For example, when summarizing trends in personalized learning the suggestion that “math and literacy core standards [will be] adopted nationwide” was somewhat of a puzzle to me. As I understand it that has been the trend in the United States for the past decade due to the introduction of the “No Child Left Behind” (2001) legislation. 

The inclusion of product-based assessment was somewhat encouraging as digital literacy, critical thinking, and creativity were mentioned, all of which are skills that 21st century learners require for success. Rather than simply providing a brief mention of portfolios a more in-depth discussion as to how technology is expected to contribute in this area would have been helpful.

Those interested in an a brief overview of several challenges in education may appreciate the first half of the article but for ed. tech. predictions the later half is of more value. Overall though I found the article to fall short in providing the predictions its title suggested that it offered.

Posted in: Uncategorized