Reflection on Mind Maps

Hello,

Thank you for the fabulous and detailed presentation group 9!  As I went through your presentation and reflected on what I have learned this week, here are my thoughts. As we learn, we have a good sense of the ideas and concepts that we encounter. I think mind mapping allows us to reflect this learning process of ours.  Mind mapping would require us to apply our new ideas/understandings to our prior knowledge which will connect it to our web of related schematic knowledge. Through the activity by diagramming our understanding of the concept with the online mind mapping tool, it not only allowed us to collaborate in an online environment but also shows a reasonable understanding of the material from each of us. Having that using an online mind mapping tool to illustrate our ideas/concepts forces us to organize the material, therefore we psychologically organize and process the information and relate it to our prior knowledge. The mind mapping tool would also create nice colourful, neat and tidy mind maps that would make it as a good piece to be utilized towards studying.

However, I think that mind maps are only effective when they are small so that all the information fits within one page. As the mind map grows bigger, more scrolling would be required and visualizing the connections would be more difficult which can lead to frustration and learners can lose the trace of what is related to what.

Karon

Posted in: Week 09: Visual-Intensive Learning