Hello from Toronto!

Hello everyone,

My name is Adriana Silvestre and this is my 6th ETEC course.  I am currently a grade 7/8 Teacher for the English component in an extended French program, I teach Science, Math, and Language. I graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in New Media, and I really enjoy using Technology in the classroom.

I have a background as a graphic and web designer (http://adrianasilvestre.ca/) and enjoy implementing these aspects into my teaching.  I use social media and technology with my students, such as google classrooms, Jupiter Ed, twitter, flickr, instagram and many different applications for different subjects.

Student work and what is happening in our classroom is shared and broadcasted using twitter and flickr, both students and parents enjoy feeling connected through technology.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/msasilvestre

Flickr:   https://www.flickr.com/photos/msasilvestre/

I am interested in exploring further mobile education as nowadays most students have access to a smartphone. Sometimes in the classroom we don’t have access to the school laptops, or they simply run-out of battery, then students end up using their phones. I use a LMS called Jupiter Ed with my students along with google classroom, and students have taken online tests I created using their phones. I would like to continue learning how best I can create meaningful online experiences for my students. Especially during the pandemic quarantine, where all the learning is happening online.

I have two boys, a one year old and a four year old, and I have just returned from maternity leave. We enjoy spending lots of time together and going outside for walks.

Look forward to working with all of you!

Adriana

12 responses to “Hello from Toronto!”

1. adrian granchelli

Hi Adriana,

I really enjoyed your class twitter! That is so cool and valuable for parents – how did you address privacy concerns?

Looking forward to working together on Assignment 2 🙂

2. Lyon Tsang

Big fan of Google Classroom !

3. Michael Saretzky

That is awesome that you are using social media as a part of teaching, I have been interested in it, although my school just uses it for posting about the school, showing the activities. The one thing that I have found, being on the social media team, is that students really follow the school Instagram page, parents like the school Facebook page and Twitter is more directed at the community (news and businesses).

1. adriana silvestre

Hi Michael, I agree with you regarding how schools and students are interacting with social media.

4. Mel Drake

Hello Adriana, thanks for sharing your twitter and Flickr – love all the the student work and projects represented there. I’ve followed you on twitter – melddrake. I look forward to working with you this semester.

1. adriana silvestre

Hi Mel, thank you for the follow on twitter. Look forward to working with you this semester.

5. anne emberline

Hi Adriana, I’m a graphic designer as well, currently running the graphic design program at Vancouver Community College. Nice to meet you!

1. adriana silvestre

Nice to meet you! Look forward to learning with you!

6. Pei

Hi Adriana, I’m so glad to hear how you have incorporated technology into learning way before the pandemic and it sounds like both students and parents have quite positive attitude towards this. I’m actually curious about the attitude from the admin side of your school when you first introduced this approach and was there any push back initially? Hoping to talk to you more about your experience!

1. adriana silvestre

Hi Pei,
      There was no push back from admin. We are promoting 21st century skills, and students and parents are very involved in the use of technology. Our school has a twitter account used for communicating with the school community. Feel free to ask me any questions you might have.

7. Ram

Hi Adriana, same here. I am also interested in learning how to create meaningful learning experiences for my students that can leverage the use of cell phones as most students bring their cell phones to classroom and want to use their cell phone in class. I look forward to learning with you in this course.

1. adriana silvestre