Why Hello There!

Hi everyone!

My name is Julia and I am a grade 6 teacher in the Okanagan (BC). This is my 9th MET course – woohoo! I am currently taking 2 courses (ETEC530) this term and feeling a little nervous about it. It’s my first time doubling up so I’m hoping I’ll be able to manage…

Wow! This change in education has been a major adjustment. I feel that being in the MET program has given me some tools to use in transitioning to online, and it has also given me a student perspective to online learning that I’m using when creating tasks and assignments for my students. That being said, online learning has been a struggle for me as I am more of a face-to-face learner (and teacher), so, if anyone is interested in video-chatting let me know 🙂 In my last class we had a small group project that we worked on for almost the entirety of the course and had video chats on a regular basis. I found it so helpful not only for completing the project but for help with assignments and personal support through the course.

A little bit about me… Last year, I moved to Summerland from Richmond. Moving from a city to a town has been great for us and I love it here! My husband and I recently bought kayaks and we’ve been going out on the lake once a week. We’ve also been spending a lot of time on our yard pruning and planting veggies – I’m really excited about growing pumpkins this year! We have a dog (Shadow) who is 10 years old and is incredibly grumpy and grumbly. 

I’m looking forward to working with you and learning from you this term! 

6 responses to “Why Hello There!”

1. Anne Emberline

Hi Julia! I’m also hoping to connect via video chats and had a few replies about it on my post, so I’m putting together an email list and will wrangle everybody up next week to sort out the details. I’ll add you to my list, as well as Kristin and Binal. Also, cute doggo! 🙂

2. Juliano Ng

Hi Julia!

This is my first time taking two courses at the same time too so we’re in the same boat! Like you, I’ve found that the MET program has helped me with this major adjustment we’ve had to go through since Spring Break. The other course I’m doing is ETEC 512 so I’ll see how the video group chats go over there. I’ve been doing it with my grade 6/7 class and it helps some but not all students. I look forward to learning with you this semester and congrats on almost being done!

3. KATLYNPASLAWSKI

Hello Julia,
    When I took 512 we had a group project that we did weekly video chats and I would agree that it really helped with the connection to peers throughout the course and productivity of the final project.
    Good luck with the pumpkin growing this year!

4. kristin garratt

Hi Julia,

Great photo of Shadow. I look forward to working with you this semester. I am also doubling up and I am a bit nervous myself. I am up for video chats as well so count me in. Good luck with the first week!

5. Binal Khakharia

Hi Julia!

Good to “see” you again (I think we had 500 together last January?)
    Congratulations on almost being done! I am also taking 530 simultaneously. Good luck – I’m sure you’ll be fine! 😀

Shadow looks so adorable, the look seems to be saying “Really, another photo?” Count me in for video chats. Any virtual connections at this time are so valuable. Look forward to learning with you as well!

6. James Seaton

Hi Julia,

Summerland is such a pretty area, and I have to say that I’m quite envious of your little kayaking adventures out there. If I had any significant storage space, it would most likely be taken up by a matching set of kayaks.

Anyways, nice to meet you, and looking forward to working with and learning from you as well.