Another Beginning – Kelvin Nicholls

Hello everyone! My name is Kelvin Nicholls and I am grade 3/4 teacher in Kelowna, British Columbia. I have lived in Kelowna for most of my life, but I have also had the privilege of living and teaching in other areas such as Vancouver and the United Kingdom. Currently I am working in a learning community at a small but diverse school in Kelowna. I teach 40 students in community with a co-educator between three different learning spaces. I come home every day to an amazing wife and two busy but loving boys ( 2 and 4 years old).

This is my sixth MET course (slowly trudging along one course at a time), but I have fully enjoyed the content, pace, and flexibility of this graduate program. I am excited to dive into the concept of “mobile learning” and I am intrigued by the unique design of this course (in comparison to other MET courses).

I am a passionate advocate for social learning. For the past 3 years, I have been teaching in a learning community with another educator with usually 40-50 students. We try to provide as much opportunity for social learning, community building, and inquiry throughout the day. We find that this creates a safe and effective learning environment for the students to take safe risks with their learning and explore their passions and interests.

I am looking forward to getting to know each of you along this 13-week journey!

One response to “Another Beginning – Kelvin Nicholls”

1. Wendy Mulligan

Hi Kelvin! Your job sounds really interesting. There must be opportunities for a great variety of innovative learning experiences for you. Your students are fortunate to have this experience. I love the Kelowna area and we often travel in your neck of the woods in the summers, as there aren’t many warm lakes around Canmore! Looking forward to working with you!