ETEC523: My new challenge

Hello everyone, 

My name is Deisy Castillo; I live in Cornwall (ON).

ETEC523 is my sixth course in the MET program. I have a bachelor’s in Communication, and for several years, I worked as an instructional designer. Now, I work as a training consultant for the “Association de la construction du Québec.” At my workplace, we focus on adult training and mainly on technical instruction. I have learned from all these experiences that there are different ways to approach a subject. So, as educators, we can suggest changes to the traditional educational system to support meaningful learning. One of those changes, no doubt, is the adoption of appropriate technologies.

I believe that mobile and open learning strategies can add value to some learning experiences when they are well designed. For this reason, I’m curious about the use of mobile devices for educational purposes. 

This is my first time in a mobile and open learning experience, so I’m out of my comfort zone. However, I am committed to adapt my study practices and do my best. I hope this course will help me with information and tools to provide strong arguments to stakeholders resistant to change. And I would like to learn from you during this new journey. 

I am looking forward to working together.

This picture was taken at the summit of Mont St.Hilaire (QC). It represents my feelings associated with this course: 
1. The fear of heights (the new experience)
2. The love for hiking (the learning curiosity) 
3. The mission accomplished (the learning goals)

4 responses to “ETEC523: My new challenge”

1. Anna Ayoung-Stoute

Hi Deisy,

Nice to see a familiar face. I resonant with your picture because those are my exact sentiments for the course. I concur that mobile and opening learning when designed and implemented appropriately can enhance learning. This is one of the main reasons why I am taking this course, we rely on mobile technology but I think there is more to learn within an educational environment.

2. MEGANHOULE

Hi Deisy and Saeid,
    It is so nice to see others working in industry in one of my courses! I look forward to learning along side you both.
    Megan

1. saeid hassanvand-gandaei

Hi Megan,

Nice to e-meet you. I agree, I was pleasantly surprised to see folks working in the industry (with non-teaching backgrounds) in this course.

Look forward to working with you,

S

3. saeid hassanvand-gandaei

Hi Deisy,

Nice to (virtually) meet you. I enjoyed reading your post, thank you.

Its nice to hear that educators like yourself, are open to changing the traditional education system and willing to use alternative strategies/technologies. In my humble opinion, with mobile technologies penetrating every aspect of our lives, mobile (and to some extent open) learning is inevitable and definitely the path forward.

By the way, that is an amazing picture and I certainly appreciate how you tied the three (3) elements (height/hike/mission) to your feelings in this course. Well articulated.

Look forward to working and learning from you in this course,

Saeid