Hi Everyone! … this is me :)

My name is Tegan. I live in Victoria, BC, where I have been teaching high school Science, PE and Inclusive Education for the past 5 years. I grew up in a little village called Kemano (if you ask my husband, that explains a lot about my “quirks” as he endearing calls them), I went to high school in Vernon BC and moved out to Victoria to do my undergraduate degree at the University of Victoria, majoring in Anatomy and Physiology and Health Education.  I am also a certified Nutritionist, an interest I took up the first time I taught Health Education and realized there was much more I wanted to adequately learn before teaching core values to students. I have completed 5 courses in the MET program so far and am currently enrolled in 512 and 523. There have definitely been many learnable along the way and highlights from each course, but my absolute favourite so far was the Summer Institute on Digital Games and Learning. 

A bit about my personal life… my husband and I met wildland firefighting. He worked for the wildfire services for 13 seasons, and I worked for them for six. It is certainly some of our most fond shared memories. When we moved to Victoria he became a structural Firefighter and now works on the Airport Authority Fire Department.  We love being outdoors, typically hiking through the forest (which is where we were married this past summer). And I spent a lot of time trying to convince him to run, which is my exercise of choice and my stress outlet (his is gaming… opposites attract right?). We are both big foodies, he is the cook in the house, and I am the lover of eating his delicious food (and kitchen cleaner). Pre-covid we tried to go out once a week for date night to try new restaurants or sample new breweries. The tradition has turned into binge movie nights with take-out from a local restaurant paired with single-bottle brews from local vendors (we don’t mind the new tradition!). 

I am thoroughly enjoying the MET program but (as I am sure with many of you) struggle with the full-time work/masters/life balance. That said, after the summer, I am excited to get back to more routine and learning.. and looking forward to learning and conversing with more peers. I am most eager to discuss which mobile technologies other educators are using in their classrooms. As I have made my way through the MET program thus far, I teeter in my classes with technology with the guiding question similar to that of this course … “Just because something related to education can be accessed on a tablet or mobile phone, is it automatically exemplary of mobile and open learning?”

IMG_3915.jpg

3 responses to “Hi Everyone! … this is me :)”

1. Erica Hargreave

You have a wonderful sounding life, Tegan. Congratulations on the recent nuptials. I love that you married in a forest. That sound like the perfect ambiance to begin a life together.

1. TeganSoros

Thank you Erica! Life right now is a very happy one 🙂

1. Erica Hargreave

It makes me happy to read that.