LOG OFF: rethinking social media

In keeping with my own ethical dilemma of the pros and cons of mobile technology, I found myself mining tools that help users navigate technology with greater understanding. Inspired by the post, Humane Technolgy, by Carla Pretorius [do yourself a favour and check it out], I came across LOG OFF, “a movement dedicated to rethinking social media by teens for teens”. LOG OFF is an online platform packed with resources, challenges, and networking opportunities encouraging those who use social media to understand how it works. 

“The real problem of humanity… paleolithic emotions, medieval institutions, god-like technology” 

– E.O. Wilson, father of ‘sociobiology’

Being an educator, I am consistently challenged with finding the balance of using innovative technologies in the classroom while ensuring I am adequately educating my students about the potential of “human downgrading” (social isolation, digital footprints, addiction, instant gratification, decreasing attention spans, etc). As technology moves forward, part of our role is keeping its inhumane qualities in check. 

4 responses to “LOG OFF: rethinking social media”

1. deisy castillo

Log off movement: What a great resource to share! Having an open conversation about the use of social media and its impact on mental health is crucial to keep the balance between technology integration in education and providing support to young people. As educators, keep this dialogue is challenging, we lack the resources or, we fail to engage youth. But, the most exciting aspect of this initiative is that the idea comes from young people who have a different approach to social media. The use of multiples mediums to engage with the audience is another good point. Definitely, a resource to explore deeply.

1. TeganSoros

I completely agree Deisy. I am thrilled to hear other educators are interested in this. Since finding the resource, I have shared it with my students and it has created valuable dialogue and change. Some students are “competing” with each other in the class for the least amount of time spent on social media each week. One student has actually deleted one of their social media apps completely (“one less distraction”). It has been wonderful to witness and see the students actually feeling empowered by the choice.

2. Cassie Nichol

I agree that helping users better understand and manage their online presence is a critical element of the mobile movement. I think at this point it is undeniable that social platforms and mobile technologies will continue to grow in influence and impact, and I appreciate that this resource isn’t simply telling teenagers to spend less time online (as is frequently the message from popular news media). Instead, this site focuses on the multifaceted nature of teenagers’ relationship with online platforms and includes reducing screen time alongside numerous other possibilities for building healthy boundaries, exploring identity, and reducing harm in the online world.

1. TeganSoros

Absolutely. The site also does a good job at tapping into the Gamification of Learning (GoL), another tactic proven to motivate 21st-century learners.