Hi ETEC 523

Hi everyone,

My name is Richard Derksen and this is my 8th course in the MET program. I originally started the program working in higher education, but have since transitioned into the adult learning space in BC’s provincial healthcare system as a corporate trainer for the past 18 months. My work within the supply chain department currently involves developing resources, courses, and other supports that focus on topics such as compliance and best practices in the public sector.

I am particularly interested in ETEC 523 and how mobile networks and lifestyles is shaping education and pedagogy. One thing I often hear in my role is the importance of the resources we develop need to prioritize accessibility, so when employees have the time to learn they can access educational supports whenever they wish. What better way than to explore mobile education to address this growing need!

I enjoy being active in my spare time; playing hockey and golf when I can. Looking forward to learning with you all this semester!

6 responses to “Hi ETEC 523”

1. Joel Flanagan

Hello Richard,
    It’s great to be able to chat with you again in this class. I thoroughly enjoyed your feedback and discussion points in previous courses. It sounds like you are well-positioned to apply what you have been learning in your courses. I’m looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts on topics in the near future.

1. Richard Derksen

Hi Joel, Apologies for the late reply but thank you for the kind words! Yes, I do believe and hope that this course is an opportunity where I can apply theory and practice into my professional context in the not so distant future. Look forward to learning with you again this semester.

2. Rich

Hi Richard. I remember you made a really cool mobile app for a project in one of our other classes together. I was so impressed. I’m hoping to learn how to do that in this course! Great to hear things are going well for you! I am right behind you in the program as this is my 7th course.

1. Richard Derksen

Hi Rich, Good to see you in a course again! And thanks for the kind words, I really enjoyed collaborating on our project together in ETEC 510 when we first started this program. Looking forward to hearing your perspectives this semester!

3. Sam Paterson

Thanks for sharing, Richard! It sounds like an interesting line of work, and particularly relevant to my interests as I help my school community explore more meaningful, accessible ways to access professional learning. I look forwardto hearing more about your perspectives on the topics in this course.

1. Richard Derksen

Hi Sam, Nice to meet you! I’m sure there will be opportunities in this course to align on ideas that cross multiple areas of education; lots of untapped potential in mobile learning. Looking forward to hearing your perspectives as well!