Movable Feast (A2) Schedule

By now you should have received a separate email from me, to yourself and members of your team, identifying your team, your topic and your week for the Movable Feast (A2) assignment.   Please let me know immediately if you haven’t got that email, or if you have questions or concerns.

I want to thank everyone for their participation in the Frontiers Poll.  As usual, the Frontiers Poll was a very worthwhile exercise in crowd-sourced regenerative curriculum definition – many items that rose to the top, or were not well-favoured, were a real surprise to me (at least).   For example, in most recent iterations of the course “Big Data” and “Mobile Games” were the top choices, whereas this time they didn’t even make the cut – does this say something about our overdosing on these topics? Meanwhile, some topics like “Transhumanity” are perhaps still a little too scary to become a focus, while others may be past their best-before dates.

I didn’t use a strict “first past the post” methodology to make the final selection – a couple I selected because there were a lot of you who were interested in them, both positively and negatively, hopefully creating a fertile ground for discussion.  In any case, we’ve collectively conjured a very diverse and exciting roster of topics, and an amazing set of teams to tackle them.  Also, I believe that everyone who completed the Poll was assigned to one of their selected topics, if that topic was one of the finalists.

Please remember that your assigned topic is just your starting point.  When you convene as a team you will be welcome to focus on any aspect of it that resonates with your interests and experience, and that you feel will be an important contribution to your global peers.  I’ll be happy to consult if you’d like to test your ideas.

Also recall that I’m looking for each team to place a special focus or section on the expected impacts of AI on their particular topic. AI is not a separate topic in our feast – it is a theme that the teams will collectively fulfill.

Also, please be patient in that we’re still in the first two weeks of the course, meaning that there may be some students dropping out or dropping in, so your team roster may evolve slightly for a week or two.

Finally, if a topic you’re keenly interested in didn’t make the cut, don’t hesitate to tackle it yourself in Assignment #1 or Assignment #3.

The schedule will be as follows:

W05 – DIY Learning – June 10-16

W06 – Sire & Her Siblings – June 17-23

W07 – Mobile Collaboration – June 24-30

W08 – Podcasts – July 1-7

W09 – Cloud Memory – July 8-14

W10 – Experience Design – July 15-21

W11 – Internet of Things – July 22-28

W12 – Quantified Self – July 29 – August 4

Awesome!

David