Part II – Decision-Making Model

It is helpful to have a framework to guide the decisions you make, be it for business or personal reasons.  Consider the steps in the following model:

Based on a model developed by the Ethics Resource Center

Thinking : Thinking emoticon

Individually, think of a decision you had to make (e.g. where to go for lunch, whether to go out with friends or complete your homework, etc.).  Reflect on what factors you considered in making a decision.

population by netalloy -

Go to the Forum page and complete the following:

Post the steps you use to make a decision in the appropriate section of the forum.  Through discussion with your classmates, determine if any of these factors or steps would be different if you were to make a business decision instead of a personal one.

Activity

Let’s work through a case together.

Ms. I.N. Control was at the supply cupboard getting some pens for her desk, when she noticed a co-worker stuffing staplers, correction tape and sticky notes into a large tote bag.  What should she do?

Using the Ethical Decision-Making Model

1.  Identify the ethical dilemma

• Ms. I.N. Control has witnessed what could be theft from the company
  • She is trying to decide what she should do about what she witnessed

2.  List the facts and identify stakeholders

• She witnessed a co-worker stuffing office supplies into a bag
  • The stakeholders are Ms. I.N. Control, the co-worker and the company they work for

3.  Identify potential courses of action

• Ms. I.N. Control could confront her co-worker and ask her what she is doing with the office supplies
  • She could go to her supervisor and report the incident
  • She could do nothing

4.  Evaluate options

• Confronting the co-worker – The individual could get defensive and/or angry and deny she is doing anything wrong.  There could be a logical explanation for what she was doing.
  • Report the incident to a supervisor – The company would want to know if office supplies are being stolen or misappropriated.  Reporting the incident could strain relations with the co-worker and make it difficult to work with her in the future.
  • The company could lose money if the incident was not reported.

5.  Select an option

• Ms. I.N. Control decides to speak with her co-worker about what she witnessed to get a better understanding of the situation.
  • Depending on the outcome of the conversation, she may have to report the incident to her supervisor

6.  Reflection

• Ms. I.N. Control tried to deal with the situation herself first to get a better understanding of what she witnessed.
  • Doing nothing and not reporting the incident would have weighed on her conscience

Time to practice!  Continue to Cases.