No more ads!

While I try to get into this new habit of writing a blog, I cannot stop thinking about an article I read last year when doing research for Lisa Nathan’s class (501). It was written by Chris Sorensen and published in Maclean’s in August 2012; the article was entitled “The Secret Internet”, and it was about “behavioural tracking”, a mechanism used by companies with an Internet presence to target consumers with personalized ads. I don’t know if it’s just me, but lately my Facebook page is completely full with ads. I have tried to change my settings, but it hasn’t worked, so I just gave up. Since I don’t use Facebook that much, I guess I can live with that.

According to Sorensen’s article, tracking consumer behaviour online is possible through the use of tiny pieces of code, or cookies, that are installed on our computers whenever we visit certain websites. Companies use our personal information (like geographic location, our interests shown on what we have seen online, and inferences about age, income and marital status) to automatically change what we can see, including online stores’ prices, which means that people with higher incomes would see higher prices than other users. I haven’t really checked—and I guess I should, at least out of curiosity—if the ads I see on Facebook have any relation to my online activity.

Advocators of behavioural tracking―most of them on the industry side of things―say that this practice ensures advertisers more web visits and a chance of extra sales, while web surfers can find services and products that suit them better, improving their overall experience on the web. Privacy advocators, though, are raising their voices against the abuses which may arise because of this unregulated and covert practice. Our race, our finances, our health can be tracked and used by companies for economic gain, and “price discrimination” could be on the rise. With companies like Orbits.com admitting having offered Mac users pricier hotels because, according to some statistics, they have higher incomes, a general concern seems warranted.

It’s funny how, whatever we do and whoever we are, big companies seem to be waiting, as crows perched on a branch, to get any crumbs we might leave on our way. And with crumbs I obviously mean money. What else could they want from us?

5 thoughts on “No more ads!

1. I find the best way to get the into the habit of blogging is to blog about things that are really exciting to me. Then use tags, embed photos and video into the posts I create to amplify my ideas.

2. I am also irked by the personalized ads on Facebook. Leading up to my wedding last October, I started noticing ads for wedding photographers, wedding dresses, etc. Since getting married (and perhaps because I have taken two children’s literature classes), I have noticed there are ads for baby stuff. Personalized ads have become that annoying relative: “so now that you are married, when are you having a baby?” /facepalm.

3. I used to work in media research for DDB Needham. We are inundated by ads from morning to night. I suppose I don’t mind the coupons that come with a receipt from the drug store. The Facebook ads are an annoyance. I wonder if they’d ever offer a no-ad paid option as Yahoo does.

4. I find this really annoying as well. Just a few nights ago, I was googling HootSuite, and now all I get are ads for HootSuite in my Facebook feed! Good lord. I did, however, appreciate the free yogurt coupon that Facebook was offering, but that was one gem amongst a lot of trash.

5. I wish I could get free yogurt coupons! I mostly get garbage or ads for things that I never even googled, like Huggies ads, when I don’t have babies. I did googled a very fancy expresso machine and now I see it everywhere! Maybe the ads will work I will soon replace my old one. Or I’ll start buying Huggies.