“Tears, Blood & Sweat” to Keep Up a Living- Cambodian Factory Workers

Minimum wage has been a highly discussed topic in the western society. Yet, many are unaware of the horrible wage conditions that people face around the world.

Last summer, during my stay in Cambodia, I had the opportunity to visit a factory, the root of where products begin and end.  Final products were packaged and shipped to various companies abroad.  The conditions that the workers worked under were astonishing to me.  The work wasn’t  just labour intensive (eg. Hand stitching) but the environment was also brutal.  The factories had minimal to no ventilation; as a result factories were hot and sweaty.  Workers working under these conditions can potentially develop serious diseases.  “ The workers get paid around $40 US a month,” explains Joe Chan, the factory owner.  The practices of these factory owners are very unethical. Workers labour long hours, working at least 48 hours a week. But they are getting paid far less than they deserve.

In the article below: It explains how Better Factories Cambodia is trying to monitor factories but the impact is not yet prominent.

http://www.just-style.com/news/factory-working-conditions-remain-a-concern_id111964.aspx