Pecha Kucha Reflection

Page

I presented a Pecha Kucha on cardboard.  My focus was on using cardboard as a material for prototyping in product design and as a material for actual products.  The timing was off on some slides but this was done without much preparation so I’d say it went about as well as I would have expected.

After doing this presentation I can tell that it would take a lot of work to get the timing perfected.  I can appreciate the work that has gone into Pecha Kucha presentations that I have seen that were more professional than mine.  But that said, I like the improvisational spirit and energy that Pecha Kucha can bring to a presentation.  By using PowerPoint slides as prompts instead of trying to pack as much information into them as possible, in my opinion, makes presentations much faster paced and more interesting.

When I watched the recording of my presentation I noticed one key issue, and that was my use of “umm” as a filler word.  This is something that I have worked on before and can get under control when I’m prepared and confident.  When I’m doing a presentation or any form of public speaking on a subject that is new to me or that I haven’t presented on before, I use more filler words.  This also happens if I’m speaking to an unfamiliar audience.  Overall, reviewing this presentation has been a good lesson in understanding what I need to work on.