Roberto Arlt, “Mad Toy”

Roberto Arlt’s novel, “Mad Toy,” was a refreshing coming-of-age novel that invited readers to follow the harrowing journey of a struggling youth named Silvio Astier. In the first chapter, “The Band of Thieves,” Silvio befriended Enrique Irzubeta and Lucio. Together, the three adolescents became members of the “Club of the Midnight Horsemen,” entangled in a life of petty crimes and thievery. The narrator used Enrique and Irzubeta interchangeably, which I found peculiar as he didn’t stay consistent with just a first or last name. Additionally, Silvio described his friendship with Enrique as “that of Orestes and Pylades (p. 26);” this interested me to search for the historical context behind the two characters to better understand the relationship dynamics between the two boys. From the beginning, this book was much more engaging for me in comparison to “Combray” by Proust. Although it was also told in the first-person, the narrator immersed the readers with descriptive dialogue and exciting action that conjured a sense of danger and thrill for readers. In chapter 2, “Work and Days,” Silvio leaves the days of thievery and mischief behind to find work, signalling the start of adulthood. Although the “Club of the Midnight Horsemen” disbanded, Silvio still looks for traces of his old friends during his time working at a run-down bookstore, he stated that Dona Maria’s smile “reminded me of Enrique Irzubeta’s smile when he was slipping through the fingers of the police (p. 76).” This reflects the universal experience of growing up and leaving childhood friendships behind, which most university students can resonate with as they face similar transitions into adulthood. The next chapter, “Mad Toy,” highlights Silvio’s intelligence. Despite the barriers of poverty, Silvio’s curiosity and self-education, from books and literature, emphasize his resilience and determination to pursue knowledge and advance his skillset in constructing gadgets and explosives. Overall, this reading successfully depicted the journey of a troubled youth navigating through the complexities and hardships of life. Silvio was constantly growing and adapting to the obstacles thrown his way as he discovered new aspects of himself in the quest for identity in this ever-changing world. 

Questions:

In chapter three, Silvio was fired from his new position as an apprentice airplane mechanic, but what was the reason behind it? The school director stated, “We don’t need smart people here, just dumb brutes who can work (p. 99),” so was Silvio simply too smart to stay in the army? That doesn’t make sense to me as I thought that the Military School was looking for youth who wanted to study and had an interest in engineering to build engines and repair planes. Even Silvio was confused, “They threw me out of the army for no reason (p. 100).” Another question I have is whether Silvio’s previous life in crime influenced his decision to turn in Rengo to the police, what was the pivoting point when he made his decision? Why did he decide to turn Rengo in and was this another turning point in finding his identity and morals?

6 thoughts on “Roberto Arlt, “Mad Toy”

1. gracem15

I really loved your post this week! I also read Mad Toy and noted much of what you wrote. In response to your question about why he was let go from the military, at first I thought it was because they were going to send him to school or place him somewhere more advanced because of all the discussions Silvio had with the higher ups about his inventions and ideas. But then after reading more and realizing that wasn’t true, I read back to try to understand. I think its because of what you suggested; that the work he was doing was just “body” work, and didn’t require his mind. But that’s just my thoughts!

2. jasmeent

Hello! I found your post really captured how the text moved through his life transitions. I also found it very ironic and funny how his friend became a police investigator after engaging in these petty thefts with Silvio. Overall I agree that this book highlights the hardships and complexities that many young adults face.

3. Jon

‘Silvio described his friendship with Enrique as “that of Orestes and Pylades (p. 26);” this interested me to search for the historical context behind the two characters to better understand the relationship dynamics between the two boys.’

Although what this is also telling us is how much Silvio sees and understands his life through the lens of the books that he’s read. (Hence also the title of the boys’ gang: “The Club of the Midnight Horsemen,” with all the air of romance and mystery and cheap adventure novels that it conveys.) How else do you see the role of reading and books playing out in this novel?

4. Jennifer Li

Hi! I also noticed that scene where Silvio finds that Dona Maria similar to Enrique, and I actually found some scenes where the Dona helps out Silvio to be particularly heartwarming (even though she’s kinda awful, but thats because of her husband though).

To answer your second question about why Silvio betrayed Rengo, throughout the story Silvio goes through so much in his various jobs, all in the pursuit of money (for good reason though). But that’s largely shaped by how he grew up, and the tough situations he found himself in. The turning point for Silvio is really when he betrays Rengo. It’s like he’s finally breaking out of that endless cycle of just chasing money, and he starts to focus on something else and living for himself.

5. Nini

Hi! I also found it strange that Silvio was kicked out of the army for being too intelligent, it made no sense to me. One of the explanations I told myself is that maybe they were scared that Silvio’s intelligence would allow him to overpower the others at some point. And so they kicked him out before it got to that point. But that’s just my theory. Overall, I really enjoyed reading your blog!!

6. Meave Choy

Hi! To answer your question, I feel like he decided to turn Rengo in due to a sense of moral ambiguity where he rationalizes his betrayal of Rengo as necessary in the context of his own struggles. I also really liked the way you analysed the quotes.