Marguerite Duras, “The Lover”

Marguerite Duras’ novel, “The Lover,” is a unique literature that explores the themes of love, family, and colonialism. At first, I was confused about the story’s setting as there seemed to be a diverse array of ethnicities and there were some city names (such as Mekong, Cholon, and Saigon) that I had never heard of before. It turns out that this novel was based on the French colonial period in Vietnam in the 1930s, which piqued my interest. At the novel’s beginning, I thought that the protagonist’s family was well-off because her mother greatly valued education and wanted her daughter to specialize in mathematics. Later on, it was revealed that the protagonist’s family was poor. Still, they were White which heightened their socioeconomic status: “The head agrees because I’m white and the place needs a few whites among all the half-castes for the sake of its reputation (pg. 71).” 

Throughout the story, the protagonist has to navigate through complex family dynamics and her sexual relationship with an older Chinese man who is very wealthy. The blatant racism and prejudice in some parts of the story were very discomforting as societal norms and racial prejudice made the relationship between them unsustainable. Everyone gossiped about their relationship when they found out which caused tension between the two so they never connected on a deep level despite their sexual desires. Even though the Chinese man was rich and treated her well, society and even her own family couldn’t look past his ethnicity and still considered the girl to be too good for him. 

Furthermore, this is another novel from this course that plays with the fickle characteristic of memory. The storyline was fragmented, with her repeatedly retelling the death of her younger brother then jumping to the present where she had a husband and then back to her first lover. It made the plot a little more complex and engaging as it left the readers connecting the story and timeline on their own. Another interesting aspect of the narration is that the author switches from first person to third person throughout the story. At first, I thought it was to detach herself from unpleasant memories and interactions by narrating it as if it didn’t happen to her but to someone else instead. But I think it was more for the protagonist to reflect on her life in the past from the present from an external viewpoint because she can see and understand things more clearly now that she’s older and wiser. 

Discussion Question: 

It appears that the girl harboured a love/hate relationship with her family, especially her mother. How do you think the girl’s family influenced her life’s choices in relationships, education, and prospects? Do you think she would have continued the relationship with the Chinese man if her family wasn’t a factor in her life?

4 thoughts on “Marguerite Duras, “The Lover”

1. Kritika Singh

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I also feel that this novel portrayed themes of racial prejudice and revolved around family dynamics, which I think really shapes an individual’s personality and life as a whole.

2. Jialu Xu

Hello, Fiona,
    Regarding the question you raised, I believe that the girl’s family relationships have a significant impact on her life choices because the emotions in one’s family of origin can be passed down to their children. If the emotional dynamics within the family of origin are discordant, it can lead to the child feeling very insecure and can also hinder their development in romantic relationships.

Jialu Xu

3. Tes

Fiona, race is definitely a key part of the narrative. The geography of colonialism is also an important detail. I like that you brought up the role of memory since there is almost a double play between the character herself thinking back as well as the author’s autobiographical notes in the book. I was also particularly drawn to the re-deaths of the sibling in the different retellings of the event.

Thanks for your comment!
    – Tesi

4. May

HI Fiona! I really enjoyed reading your blog post. I like how you mentioned the aspect of colonialism in this novel, and I also think that it does play an important role in shaping the plot. I also completely agree that the book felt like it was jumping around all over the place in terms of the events that were being described, especially since they didn’t follow a chronological order. For me, this aspect is what led me to be quite confused while reading it.
    — May