Flexible Learning

Work- Life Balance

Work- Life Balance by nisha

I have given this much thought, and I don’t draw a definite line between my work and my life; the two merge and overlap, and I rarely try to balance hours between the two. Several of my creative hobbies have become teaching tools, and some work tasks have become projects I do with my son. For instance, a few years ago, I got into shooting and editing video. This hobby I developed during my “real-life” life helped me develop video tutorials for my students and create a YouTube education channel for my “work” life. I think it’s the nature of this profession: teaching and knowledge delivery is a very creative endeavor. Also, the special clients – the bright, kind and keen undergrads – I serve to make this career very conducive to family life. Let me give you some examples of this blurred line. At a fundraiser event held by UBC’s Sew and Knit club, my son joined me and volunteered to model the knits.   At the Vancouver School of Economics undergraduate society’s “Meet the Prof” events, my son accompanies me; it’s an excellent opportunity for them to see the human side of me, and for my son to interact with role-model-worthy undergrads. Of course, it’s not surprising that students feel more comfortable talking to me when they see my kid in tow. I enjoy my work and feel fortunate to be teaching at my university. Of course, the biggest reason is the students. I am impressed with their overall work ethic, and all the extracurricular activities and jobs they juggle in addition to a full course load. And I am constantly amazed by the respect and kindness that students display in and out of the classroom.

Story written by nisha

Be the first to leave a comment!