Flora Zhu's Blog

Marketing blog for COMM296

Reflective Post on Marketing Project

(http://gapingvoid.com/2006/07/18/marketing-is-everywhere/)

The marketing assignment gave us an exclusive first hand experience at devising a marketing plan by analyzing the STP and 4P of a company (Telus).  I feel that Telus has a strong marketing plan for the implication of WOLF EMR. I found it to be a rewarding experience working in a team environment. Despite some minor disagreements at the beginning, I feel that as a team we were able to resolve our conflicts and eventually work together harmoniously to create the final project. Overall I feel that my team devised a strong marketing plan and worked well together. I am really grateful for the people that I worked with!

There were some miscommunication issues because we were unsure who was going to initiate the start of the project, so we began with a rocky start. However we quickly recovered from our mistake and was efficient in devising our plans and organizing when to meet up. Each of the team brought forward their own talents, strengths and weaknesses. Within the 11-12 weeks of working together, we learned to evaluate with each others’ weaknesses. We became more patient and understanding.

Through this project, I learned about different ways that a company segments a product. Prior to learning about marketing, I was unaware of the techniques and the level of marketing that occurs around me. However, now whenever I turn on the radio or watch an advertisement, i can hear the different marketing techniques that are utilized by the producers. I feel that I will never be able to look at an advertisement the same. Comm296 really opened my eyes to the marketing world and I taught me that marketing is not just advertisement, but research, understanding, teamwork and analysis.

Organic is best! Or so my Mom says….

Vancouver is all about the healthy, organic lifestyle. If you walk down Kitsilano, you will be greeted with Whole foods, organic markets, out-door gears, sports equipment stores and vegan restaurants all directed towards the health-conscious consumer. Now imagine their surprise when they hear that their $5 overpriced organic apples  contains the toxic side effects as a $0.59 conventional apple from Superstore. As you would expect… not very impressed.

(http://thegluten-freeagency.com/blog/can-it-still-be-organic-if-the-food-has-been-enhanced/)

The Organic food industry is a 50 billion dollar market. When individuals refer to organic, they refer to the method of how the fruit, potatoes (etc) are farmed. Within the USA, foods containing a minimum of 70% organic material can be deemed as “made with organic material” (source: mayoclinic). However to be claimed as organic, it must be contain 95% organic material.

So, what exactly does one produce an ‘organic product’?

According to producer.com there have been misleading information and labels given to the agriculture practice. The usages of copper, and sulfur compounds are used in the organic industry. Although these compounds are deemed as “organic” they contain similar toxic side-effects as pesticides. Artificial hormones given to an animal that does not exceed the level of their natural hormonal production is also deemed as ‘natural’ and organic.

After this much effort is put into producing an ‘organic product’, this brings us to the key question: Are organic products healthier and more nutritious than a conventionally farmed product? The answer: “not so clear yet.” According to a 50 year study, researchers have discovered that organically farmed foods and conventionally produced foods are “comparable in their nutrient content.“(source: mayoclinc)

Despite the lack of research to support organic foods, many individuals still prefer to purchase foods labelled as organic over conventional food ideas. In the end, it is dependant on the consumer’s perceived value of the product. If they truly believe that the organic food will be more nutritious and beneficial for their body, they will be more willing to fork over more time, effort and money to purchase these goods. As for me, after reading these articles, I am starting to become skeptical if my $5 soy milk from Whole Foods is better than the $3 conventionally produced soy milk from Superstore.

Do YOU use Facebook?

Turning on my computer/iphone/ipad/electronic device, one of the first websites I check is Facebook. Over 1.5 billion users, growing at a rate of 23% since March, 2012, Facebook is huge (source: Facebook). Now imagine my surprise to hear a 13 year old claim that none of her friends use Facebook.  With 699 million people logging onto Facebook on a daily basis, it seems to be a extremely desirable and efficient media outlet and a prime place for marketers to target consumers (source : Facebook)

In response to a post by a 13 year old middle school student in New York on Mashables, it appears that Facebook is starting to lose its popularity with the younger generation. “Part of the reason Facebook is losing my generation’s attention is the fact that there are other networks now.” (source: Mashables) By the time the youth are allowed to use Facebook, they no longer desire it. Partially the reason is because many of their friends are no longer on Facebook, “Facebook was just this thing all [their] parents seemed to have” and is no longer trending. Facebook has increased cyber bullying, and has become a “huge marketing mouthpiece.” Facebook has become too complicated and are “trying too hard”, resulting them to lose popularity with the younger generation.  However, counter argument by Adora a 15 year old claims that none of her friends don’t have a Facebook account  (source: Mashables). Facebook has become  reliable source for school project groups to communicate, plan events, learn about concerts, receive discounts and contact long lost friends.

As an avid Facebook user, personally I feel that Facebook is still popular within my circle of friends. It is a effective promotion method and contains an abundance of informations regarding businesses and events. Facebook is also useful on a personal level when it comes to forming group projects and scheduling meeting times.

Early Christmas anybody? (Response to Brandchannel)

We all love Christmas. The sweet moist scent of gingerbread cookies, wearing your mother’s ugly handmade (and extremely itchy) christmas sweater, the crackling of flames licking at the cedar wood in the fireplace bring signifying  “cheeriest time of the year” is back again.

(http://www.brandchannel.com/home/post/2013/10/22/Toy-Brands-Holiday-Promos-102213.aspx)

It appears that many retail companies have allowed a head start on the Christmas shopping, in reference to Brand channel, many companies such as Walmart, Best Buy, and Toy’s R us are “more interested to make hay early in the season because the forecast for Christmas spending this year is cloudy at best.” The fear that the economic scrooge will negatively impact holiday shopping, by jumping onto the early holiday train and hoping to cash in before the chaotic holiday slug drags in has allowed companies to start holiday promotions earlier this year.

Despite all the love and cheer in the air, Christmas can prove itself to be an extremely stressful time for many individuals (source: National Post). The pressure to get the perfect gift, increased demand for rare items, additional christmas parties, the desire to maintain an attractive physical appearance despite the abundance of festive feasts put a lot of mental stress and physical stress on consumers. Higher death rates have been recorded on Christmas day, boxing day and New years. However, the environmental factors have to be considered as well.

Then again, there is no fault on getting a jump start on one’s Christmas shopping because in the end, Christmas is about giving, loving and family time. There is no harm in allowing the little ones snuggle up in their beds  and dream about the Jolly old man and his annual trip down from the North pole.

A history of sex sales? (respond to Jerry Xu’s ‘Does sex really sell?’)

In response to Jerry’s Xu blog post:” Does sex really sell? (Ethical issue for COMM296)” It was quite fascinating to see how companies use sex as an effective tool to sell their products. This got me to consider, how long has ‘sex’ been the main theme of the advertisements?

Presence of sex have been recoded in advertising since the early 1800s on trading cards. Erotic images were often used for Woodbury’s soap advertisements in the 1900 century.

(http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/advertising_and_society_review/v012/12.2.o-barr.html)

In 1930 Woodbury entered a new level of sensuality with the usage of a completely nude model on their catalogs. Jovan also jumped on the ‘sex sells bandwagon’ by adding sex appeal to their advertisements. After the additional of the sensual content, Jovan recorded a sale increase of $1.5 million to $77 million between 1971 to 1978, thus providing evidence behind the effectiveness of the sexual content and the effect it has on sales revenue. The usage of sex in media and marketing has been around for a decade and has evolved from slight hints to more expressive and exaggerate displays as shown by the Calvin Klein ads. However, it it definite that the presence of sex has been around on the marketing field for quite some time. Regardless the $1 billion increase revenue from the modern CK ads, and the increase of $77 million for 1970s ad,  both supports the theory that sex really does sell regardless of time in history, and has been used as an effective sales tool.

http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/advertising_and_society_review/v012/12.2.o-barr.html

http://www.aef.com/on_campus/classroom/book_excerpts/data/2476

We don’t stock XL or XXL:ethical issue for 296

“Sorry, you’re too large for this store.”

How would you feel to have a sales associate scan your body up and down and then mutter those words?

Abercrombie and Fitch a popular American retail store targeted towards 22-35 year old is all about creating a “sexy and emotional experience” through their store design and clothes. They are focused on setting and grooming their appearance to appeal and give the persona of  the “attractive all-American kid with a great attitude and a lot of friends.”

Mike Jeffries the CEO of A&F wants to amplify his company to extend out to “the cool and popular kids” and doesn’t mind excluding the “not-so-cool kids” from his renowned brand. While other companies such as Dove and H&M try to defy the standards of conventional beauty with workshops designed to rebuild young female’s self-esteem and utilize plus sized models of healthy proportions, A&F refuses to stock in XL and XXL sizes for women and hire unattractive staff. Their reasoning?”Because good-looking people attract other good-looking people, and [they] want to market to cool, good-looking people. [They] don’t market to anyone other than that.”

Ethically, A&F “obsession”  with the “all-American” appearance negatively impacts and alienates 60% of the american population from purchasing their merchandise simply because they don’t fit into the stereotypical and unattainable ideal of beauty, thus giving an impression that they are not beautiful, good  or sexy enough for their clothing. By choosing not to stock larger sized garments for females, this increases the pressure on females to achieve an unhealthy standard of beauty. With 2 in 3 women in America diagnosed with bulimia and 1 in every 200 females with anorexia (Carolina department of health), the additional subconscious pressure from advertisement and marketing choices from A&F  is just adding onto the unhealthy ideal of beauty.

Hello world!

Welcome to UBC Blogs. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start blogging!