The Joke’s On You

On March 31st, my Facebook chat popped up on the bottom right corner of my screen and reads “Can you tell me if this is a joke? I’m too embarrassed to smell my screen.”

Well, it seems like Google did it again.  And they weren’t the only company to successfully play tricks on the gullible.  Large companies such as YouTube, Procter & Gamble and Boston Pizza took advantage of the day once used as an opportunity to put a whoopee cushion on your teacher’s chair as an advertising opportunity.  But is this worth the time and effort?

In my opinion, it is.  Although the idea of your computer being able to “emulate a particular scent” is unrealistic, admit it, it got your attention too.  It had you and all of your friends sharing videos, updating statuses and re-tweeting posts. Social media channels, news channels and blogs were all actively participating in the April Fools buzz that these brands had so cleverly created – and in turn enjoyed a great deal of global publicity.

Brands have learned that especially in the age of social media, consumers are constantly looking for new information and new ideas to entertain them.  Tricks like these convey a playful attitude, create a personal connection with consumers and raise brand awareness. Well thought-out stunts like these are a great tool to support brand identity and a brands marketing communication strategy.

Some more shenanigans, if you want another laugh…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc_iT1bSrJM