Critical Thinking

CRITICAL THINKING: is the ability to reflect on your own actions and decisions within a given coaching/leadership context .

HOW AM I DOING? ARE MY METHODS STILL EFFECTIVE OR OBSOLETE ? HOW CAN I BE A BETTER COACH? DOES MY EGO GET IN THE WAY OF COACHING EFFECTIVENESS?

These are questions that help me step outside my comfort zone and help me grow. In my book, every coach should regularly look in the mirror, and ask themselves if their methods are working or are up-to-date , they should ask themselves if they are doing the best they can to optimize not only the performances of their athletes but also their potentiel as great human beings. In this profession, if you are not carful, your EGO could get in the way of your progress and critical thinking. In the last 20 years, i have seen too many coaches, karate “Masters”, technical leaders sailing off on their EGO TRIPS, and some of would take it a step further and blast off on their space ships, million miles from reality.

Coaching is a constantly evolving profession, and we can’t let our egos get in the way of our progression,. We have to do things for the right reasons which to help THE ATHLETES reach their full potential and acknowledge that we don’t know everything!

THE leadership practices inventory (James M Kouze and Barry Z Posner)

It is a process that is usually utilized by organizations to get information from diverse workplace sources on an employee’s work performance. Most often, information solicited in a 360-degree feedback process will include feedback from an athletes in our case, peers (colleagues), and Head coaches or Team managers etc…as well as a self-evaluation by the coach him or herself. I think all coaches should go through the 360 feedback process we have to go through as students in this program and the advanced coaching diploma because this exercise literally opened my eyes. I must admit i was always avoiding getting feedback from athletes, colleagues and technical leaders because i’m a very sensitive person. This is the exercise that got me to see how i was perceived as a coach, and leader by my athletes and peers. The process overall was nerve recking for me and later on led me to analyse the gap between how i perceived myself and how others in my work place percieved me.I went on to do some major adjustments. For instance, i didn’t know how to ask or when to ask feedback from athletes, all i did was just assume that they understood the tasks i gave them when they executed them well. But did they understand why they did that certain tasks? how did they feel doing them? I just told them what to do and i didn’t spend much time on the « why » and the « how » and i never asked them how they felt about the training sessions and what could be improved in their opinion .

I changed all that and started to empower them get them more involved in the training process and saw them having fun while work harder. As a coach i started to focus more on the “Why” and “How” and started to enjoy my work more. I kept the discipline, respect and work ethics of traditional karate but challenging myself to question the traditional way of teaching was the best decision i made for my coaching career.

I never perceived myself as a dictator but that is the style used. After more that 35 years of traditional karate that’s what i learned, the “master” is the supreme leader and his method should never get questioned by his disciples or pupils. It is a highly hierarchical system. But even though our sport is deeply rooted in traditional martial arts, it should be treated as a sport, and coaching athletes for performance is not the same as teaching karate in a “DOJO” ( the place we practice traditional karate). When you are used to being called “Sensei” or Master it can very easily go to your head if you are not careful. I think i started being a coach when i looked myself in the mirror and made the clear distinction between the sport, and the martial art, between the coach and the “sensei”. I became a coach when i found the guts to challenge my colleagues and head coach sometimes to think outside the box.

I refuse to be called Sensei in a sport setting anymore, the athletes i work with just call me coach! After the 360 experience, I sat down asked myself, why i was coaching? I realized that i wasn’t coaching for the right reasons. My father (RIP) always told me to do things for the right reason because sooner or later you are going to be exposed..At the heart of what we do is the athlete, once we forget that, we are not coaches any more in my opinion. I talk more with my athletes now, i pick there brain and try to find out more about their lives, because i understand now that for good and consistant performances the athlete has to have balance in his life. i design visual chart below

This chart is a constent reminder that is posted in my office: Seek balance for performance

The scale is at the center because it represents the right equilibrium, a good formula for success . All around this scale are all the major factors that influence performance, if one of them is affected it changes the balance of things, and there is a good chance your athlete’s performance is going to be affected. As coaches we have to know our athlete well in order to help him or her perform better, that is the list we could do. We have to acknowledge that there are things that are out of your control too, like their family, and private lives. I also realise that i have a lot of influence in a young person’s life and i make sure they understand my “Balance to perform concept” so they can make the right decisions for themselves. They also know that my door is always open if they need advice or just someone to listen to them. A coach also needs to have balance in his life to help others. I used to let athletes call or text me anytime, one time i received a text at midnight. It started to bring tensions into my marriage and i had to draw the line somewhere. I told all my athletes that 8 pm was the limit for texts and calls. My family is my number one priority!

CONCLUSION

The Ego can be a prison, that will keep the “coach” from improving . In a field that is constantly evolving, you will be left behind if you get stuck in that “prison”. i think that the cancer of coaching is rigidity or status quo. I’m coach because i have passion for karate(specially in it’s sport version), i’m a coach because i love teaching, inspiring and transmitting great values like discipline, good work ethics, dedication, and determination to young men and women. Hopefully these values will a help them in their lives after competition, and gear towards being model citizens and help them inspire others someday. As long as i am coaching, i vowed to regularly nourish my ability to reflect on my own actions and decisions in my working context, to never let my ego get in the way of seeking new effective ways to help the athletes feel good about themselves and perform better, to practice accoutability for everyone around me, including myself. The whole process started when i did my advanced coaching diploma and now with the HPCTL program i have to opportunity to take it a step further and develop towards my true potential as a coach.

1. Gabrielle, some excellent reflections. Did you redo the LPI when you started the MHPCTL program? Or did you use the LPI from your ACD program? If you have not done the LPI recently it may be good to administer it again. I am not sure how they did it in INS (did they use the online version?), but we could figure something out. Also, was the LPI translated into french?

I think that by redoing the LPI you may be able to see differences in the way others’ perceive your Leadership practices since you have made changes to your coaching. I agree with your thoughts on how hierarchical coaching can be, particularly in martial arts. This said, I know a lot of coaches, like yourself, who are able to coach outside of the tradition of the sport. The big benefit for a more inclusive and interactive coaching paradigm is creating deliberate practice conditions in your athletes. By just telling the athlete what to do, they will never learn to the degree that is needed to reach expertise. It is perhaps why the master always stays he master and the student always the student. The emergence of expertise requires coaches to engage the athlete in a way that enables them to learn and grow.

Gabrielle, thanks for the reflection. I noticed that you had a couple of paragraphs copied twice that you may want to edit.

2. Great post Gabe, I can imagine that it may have been challenging at first to seek advice from other coaches and athletes as a ‘sensei’. Good for you to recognize this, and approach coaching as an opportunity to build into athletes in a mutually beneficial relationship rather then a ‘sensei’ that imparts all knowledge. The word ‘sensei’ means teacher, but there are other connotations that come with it suggesting a hierarchy; that the person is a master and source of all knowledge. Perhaps this is due to the fact that the word comes from Japan where their culture is built off of respect for your elders and people of authority. When I was in Japan, I was called ‘sensei’ and treated with a level of respect that I wasn’t accustomed to. I am not very familiar with karate, but I do believe some of these cultural values are apparent within the sport.

Good on you to separate your ego associated with being a professional athlete and ‘sensei’, to being a critically thinking reflective coach that seeks to help athletes improve in many different aspects of their lives. Also, nice work on setting boundaries for work and prioritizing family. I have found that it can be very easy to work all the time – text, e-mail, phone call etc. in this profession. As you talk about, life as an athlete is all about having good balance, and this is no different then life as a coach. I believe successful coaches are able to prioritize and plan time away from coaching in order to have a healthy work-life balance.

3. Hi Gabe,

Love your line: “In the last 20 years, i have seen too many coaches, karate “Masters”, technical leaders sailing off on their EGO TRIPS, and some of would take it a step further and blast off on their space ships, million miles from reality.” It made me laugh!

I understand the ego thing well, as I have been guilty of being there many times, and I often need to continue to overcome that on a regular basis. I even prefer to have students call me by my first name instead of ‘Coach’, because for me, I want to be someone to assist them, but not seen as someone who will do everything for them.

I think it’s great that you are engaging your athletes more, but also setting limits for yourself because you have your own priorities. I think being a coach is difficult because of all the things we have to juggle and manage, often all at the same time!

I really liked your reflection and I thank you for sharing! For a great read about ego, may I recommend “Ego Is The Enemy” by Ryan Holiday. I do follow that mantra myself every day. The author actually has the phrase tattooed onto his forearm! The 3 key themes of the book include: 1) Being humble in our aspirations, 2) Being gracious in our successes, and 3) Being resilient in our failures.

4. Gabe,

Thank you for this post! It is a good reminder for me to as DOES MY EGO GET IN THE WAY OF COACHING EFFECTIVENESS?

Often I find myself working with less experienced athletes and coaches and I think I can have a tendency to think of my knowledge and ideas and ways superior to theirs. Everyone has something to offer and I need to make sure I regularly check my ego and ensure I am considering others so that i am always an effective coach who can include others and learn from them as well.

Egos can be cancer in a sporting environment and don’t want any part of that disease!

Again, thank you and I really enjoyed your reflections on how this applys to Karate.

Andy

1. Thank you Andrew you are a very wise man, I have a rituel every month, i do a self assessment: From a scale of 1 to 10 for the 5 NCCP CORE COMPETENCIES
      i give myself a grade and Ego being a very important subcategory! If have a bad grade i try to close the gap during the next month…