Not only can research findings can be gr…

Not only can research findings can be greatly influenced by the chosen methodologies, I think the way in which research participants are sampled will also have major impacts on the findings. For example, while snowball or convenient sampling would be easy to achieve, it may not be an appropriate for producing representative research findings. As researchers, we need to have a clear understanding of how our chosen sample(s) can influence our understanding of the topic at hand. In some cases, the representativeness of research findings may not be as important as developing new theories or reaffirming existing theories. For my group, we have yet to decide on how we will divvy up the participants for our focus groups. As we will be working with youth, there is a range of possibilities that we can take to establish our focus groups, such as organizing them by race/ethnicity, age or gender. How do other groups plan to select participants for their research sample? Let me know, – I’d love to hear your thoughts!