Assignment 2.6: Harry Robinson’s Interfusional Literature

Posted by in ENGL 372

Question 1:

In his article, “Godzilla vs. Post-Colonial,” Thomas King describes an interfusional genre of Native literature that blends oral and written literature. The only complete example of this genre are Harry Robinson’s stories. King explains how interfusional literature is written down, but utilizes “patterns, metaphors, structures as well as the themes and characters” that originate in oral literature and Indigenous methods of story-telling (186). Robinson manages to work within the “confines of written language” yet, ingeniously, creates an “oral voice” (King 186). Through these written tricks, or “oral syntax,” Robinson compels readers to read the stories aloud, rather than silently (King 186). Interfusional literature recreates in an instant both “the storyteller and the performance” (King 186).

In reading and listening to Robinson’s “Coyote Makes a Deal with the King of England” numerous times, in numerous fashions, I experienced what King was describing in his article.

First, it was uncomfortable to try and read the story completely silently. It was impossible to skim the phrases; rather, I had to voice every word within my head. It felt wrong to read the story rather than hear it. The style, the spacing, the colloquialisms and individual quirks of speech made it seem far more of an oral tale than a written one.

Reading it out loud felt far more natural. Yet, an odd feeling overcame me. I felt that, although it was my voice I was hearing, it was not my natural manner of speaking. I felt that Harry Robinson had channelled himself through me, and was using my voice as a medium for his message and his experiences. This feeling was even stronger when I read the story aloud to a friend. The audience encouraged me to include gestures, and to focus more on the performance of the tale. Questions like “Who? What is it?” only felt real when asked to my listener (65). Through his clever oral syntax, Robison has woven a full performance into printed words upon a page. The indentations, short sentences, and paragraph groups lead my voicing. Every pause felt natural and I even felt the inflections of oral storytelling were conveyed through Robinson’s writing style. The story came alive through a voice. Or, even, Harry Robinson himself was revived through the act of storytelling as his manner of speaking and sharing was evoked through me.

When my friend read the story to me, I was slightly shocked by how similarly our verbal performances were. It could have been, perhaps, that he was influenced by how I had performed the tale to him. But, I feel that the more prominent reason why our manner of reading was so similar was because Robinson had pressed us to read in his manner of storytelling through his interfusional writing style.

Robinson’s story was so powerful because it made me an agent of the storyteller. I felt connected not only to Robinson, but to the generations of people that taught him how to be a storyteller, and the culture in which these tales were shared and given power. Part of me struggled with whether I should even be taking part of this history and culture, as a settler of this land we call Canada. Another part of me felt humbled by and appreciative of the opportunity to explore my relationship with “Coyote Makes a Deal with the King of England” and Robinson’s larger cultural history of oral storytelling. I don’t think I will be able to reconcile these conflicting responses, and I think that is okay.

“How to Tell a Story.” TED Talks, www.ted.com/playlists/62/how_to_tell_a_story.

“Syilx/Okanagan Nation.” Okanagan Nation Alliance, www.syilx.org/about-us/syilx-nation.

Hanson, Erin. “Oral Traditions.” Indigenousfoundations, indigenousfoundations.arts.ubc.ca/oral_traditions/.

Robinson, Harry. Living by Stories: a Journey of Landscape and Memory, edited and compiled by Wendy Wickwire. Talonbooks, 2005.