Do unto others….

by Deirdre ~ October 2nd, 2009. Filed under: Uncategorized.

The phrase in the Albrechtslund article I found most intriguing was “construction of identity.” You can represent yourself as a close approximation of who you really are, or you can be who you always wanted to be. This does afford you some power, at the cost of privacy.

It also allows you to manage your reputation. In The Perils of Sharing, Andreas Kluth acknowledges how quickly you can lose control of your online reputation but maintains it is important to have an online presence in order “to inject your own perspective.” He also advocates for a new etiquette which will make people more sensitive to sharing information about others.

And the fact is, if you don’t construct your identity, someone may just assume it as their own, as happened to chef Michael Smith this week.

1 Response to Do unto others….

1.   Dean Giustini

You are really getting the hang of blogging as reflective practice Deirdre. I also like the concise posts over the longer ones; you’ll notice that I blog that way. Have you noticed on Twitter that some famous people have a “Verified account” icon on their homepage? Wonder how that’s achieved? Cheers Dean