The kids are allright…

by Deirdre ~ October 22nd, 2009. Filed under: Uncategorized.

Educause‘s applied research branch ECAR just released their 2009 Study of Undergraduate Students and Information Technology. This is a survey of over 30,000 undergraduates at over 100 institutions. The study has been done annually since 2004 so longitudinal comparisons are possible. Scanning the Key Findings and Road Map, I found the following information most interesting:

– 94.6% use the library website, with a median frequency of use weekly – to me this means that even with the tremendous amount of competition available from other information providers, the library is still relevant for students

– 2/3 disagree or strongly disagree with the statement, “I can skip classes when course materials are available online” – this relates to a discussion going on in 559 about whether students would bother attending clases if podcasts or iTunes of lectures were available

– there is a preference for a hybrid model –  a moderate amount of technology in courses, but  face-to-face instruction is still desired and,

– in answer to  open ened questions some students wrote explicitly about a preference for “real books and people” 

Technology offers us all sorts of possibilities and can’t be ignored, but we shouldn’t forget the human touch.

1 Response to The kids are allright…

1.   Dean

I think the ‘real books and people’ finding is interesting but questionable.

Most students prefer to access learning objects online, and that includes books.

Perhaps it’s different for undergraduates due to the need to access print.

Dean