Microgrids Brighten Up Rural Kenya

SteamaCo agent John Pambio stands beside the controls at the solar-panel hub in Entasopia, which is located in the village chief's yard.

Electricity, a resource that is taken for granted in developed countries, is finally brought to people in rural Kenya for the first time, in a consistent and reliable way, thanks to the renewable energy micro-grids offered by SteamaCo. Micro-grids are independent power generation and distribution systems that make use of local renewable energy. In the case of Kenya, it would be solar energy collected by roof-top solar power systems. These mini power stations have transformed the villages and improve living significantly, as well as brightening up the local economy.

Unlike traditional green strategies that require a price premium or compromises on profit, installing renewable energy micro-grids in East African countries is a green strategy with strong financial incentives. The rural villages, or most of the third world countries, is a huge consumer market for electricity and other resources that has been left out. Currently, only one third of the population in East African countries has access to electricity. There is strong demand for power from these scattered communities where no electricity supplier has tapped into. It is a “blue ocean” of business opportunities for SteamaCo. Furthermore, with one fifth of the world’s population continue to live without access to electricity, if the company can scale up the production of these micro-grids, the financial return on the micro-grid business looks promising.

The micro-grids improves lives of villagers in every aspects, from household appliances to fuel pumps on the streets. Most importantly, they help villages become more resilient. First of all, the access to electricity has allowed telecommunication to be widely available. The improved communication between households and villages provide more support in case of catastrophic events such as drought and disease outbreak. Secondly, the micro-grids uses local renewable energy, which is reliable and self-sustaining. Lastly, the electricity generated is enough to support more business activities and education opportunities, which hopefully will lift people out of poverty.

Lastly, I want to borrow an inspiring quote from a software manager at SteamaCo to encourage more green practices in third world countries: “Even though our customers are poor, they have purchasing power and they know how to use it.”

Article Reference: http://www.greenbiz.com/article/how-microgrids-are-bringing-power-rural-kenya

One response to “Microgrids Brighten Up Rural Kenya

1. maria abell

As son as I read this post I found it really interesting.
    Last summer I was doing a volunteering work in Ghana, West Africa. Although I was in the capital and more urban areas, the electrical cuts occurred daily. In the rural areas the situation was even worst. Surprised I asked Ghanaians why they did not have any source of solar energy to be able to fulfil the hole country. They told me the government did not want to spend so much money in the installation.
    I think it is a very positive step that a company as SteamaCo has realized the potential of this big “blue ocean”. Even more, if this new micro-grids are going to improve many people’s life.