It feels about right to start off this blog with a little note on myself and what kind of goals I’m pursuing at this stage in my life. I called this blog “Green Beans, Big Dreams” partially because I have a strange love and appreciation of beans as a plant variety, partially because it (kind of) rhymes. But mostly I chose that title because I think it encompasses the idea that there is a moral/philosophical argument surrounding everything in our lives, no matter how small or inconspicuous or taken-for-granted, and that it’s all part of a bigger picture. In LFS 250, we learned that this kind of thinking is called “systems thinking”, and it allows one to consider not just an object, person, idea, or action in itself, but also to understand the interplay between that subject and those things connected to it within the systematic whole.

Originally, this blog was supposed to be a reflection on my studies in sustainable agriculture. But more and more, I’m realizing that everything I’m learning and doing now and have learnt and done in the past is closely intertwined within me and it all contributes to my understanding of myself. I think it’s dangerous to over-specialize, or to limit yourself to a certain type of knowledge. All knowledge is important, and will prove useful at some point or another. So, kids, stay in school! But of course, also reach out past academics, because there is a lot to be learnt from personal experiences as well as the experiences of others. I plan to use this blog as a place to concretize and express my ideas, interests, questions, and concerns, and hopefully get as much out of it as I put in. I hope you enjoy reading, and I really hope you comment and share your thoughts as well! Here’s to the beginning of “just another UBC student blog”…