WELCOME TO OUR GROUP 14 BLOG!

We are a group of 6 UBC LFS 350 students and we are very excited to be part of the Vancouver Food Policy Council lunch program project. Before going deeper into our community project, we’d like to introduce a little bit of ourselves!

Top (left-right): Brenda, Elin, Levania, Yeon

Bottom (left-right): Sabrina, Cindy

Levania Zefanya Hello, you can call me Levania! I am 3rd year Food, Nutrition and Health major with an interest in international nutrition for children and women. I love working with children and when I was exposed to the problems in international nutrition, I knew that it is something I want to be involved in. As I have a interest in children, I am looking forward in being apart of the VFPC. I personally believe that food and nutrition is a big aspect in one’s growth, character and ability to achieve things. Through that, I really want to be able to be involved in helping Vicky and Tara in achieving a universal food policy to help the food insecure children to find security. Apart from school, I love to do artsy things such as, cooking, baking and painting. I also enjoy outdoor activities (that’s why I enjoy summer so much)! And lastly, I love to watch drama-crime series. So, if you have any suggestions in fun series, please let me know!

Sabrina Piao Hieveryone! My name is Sabrina Piao and I  would like to introduce myself to you guys. I grow up in northeast of China and I went to Vancouver for university studying after I finished high school in China. Now I am a third year student in Land and Food System Faculty, majoring in food market analysis. I am interested in the international agriculture, which focus on transforming traditional agricultural system into modern agricultural system in developing countries and it can dramatically increase farmers’ income and help them get out of poverty.

I love kids and I am a volunteer in the Nutrikids program in UBC. Nutrikids provides nutrition education workshops in Vancouver Elementary Schools and as student volunteers, we are expected to teach fundamental nutrition knowledge to help children make healthy eating choices. Through this project, I want to help with improving food security among children by trying to establish a complete BC school lunch systems. For my hobbies, I love cooking and baking and I really enjoy making dinner with my family members on weekends.

So Jeong (Elin) Bae– Hi all! My name is Elin Bae and I am currently in my third year in LFS, majoring in Food, Nutrition, and Health. With my continuous year in this major, I am dedicated to further expand my knowledge on food beyond the nutritional level to reach my career goal as a future community dietitian. I’d also like to introduce myself as an enthusiastic individual who has a great passion towards living a healthy lifestyle and working with children!  I have always believed that making small lifestyle changes can further develop into big differences to our health. Through this project, I wanted to take a part in making that change in various elementary and secondary schools by helping them reach their goal in reducing the food insecurity and improving the food policy in BC. In my spare time, I enjoy watching movies, TV shows, and during summer, I love to go for a hike and paddle board.

Cindy Young: Hi everyone, I’m Cindy! I am currently  a 4th year FNH student majoring in Nutritional Sciences. I am especially interested in nutrition, health and disease prevention. Although I am interested in learning more about adopting a lifestyle with healthy foods, I also believe in moderation! Moderation is important in having a healthy lifestyle and spiritually, a healthy, positive mind. I was born and raised in Vancouver, Canada so it will be interesting to see how the BC school food system has changed in terms of having different varieties of foods and having things in moderation. This is one of the reasons why I think this project with VFPC is well suited towards my interests of nutrition. My hobbies include watching movies and Youtube videos, hanging out with friends and mostly, reading the menus of different restaurants!

Brenda (Po-Yu) Yang – Hi everyone! My name is Brenda and I’m a 3rd year student major in Food, Nutrition and Health. I’m interested in studying international nutrition issues and working with children. In my spare time, I enjoy baking, cooking, and trying out new restaurants. I’ve noticed that people nowadays, including myself, have increased attention on developing a healthy eating habit and lifestyle. By studying Food, Nutrition and Health, I hope to gain more knowledge on food and nutrition and make better food choices. Through this project, I hope to contribute to the B.C. elementary and secondary school by improving food justice and reducing food security among children. I also wish to make positive influence on the children’s lifestyle and diet habit. I hope that in the future, I would be able to benefit more people around the world and contribute to food and nutritional issues with the knowledge and experience i gained from this course.

Yeon Kyung Zhoo– Hello everyone! My name is Yeon and I am  in 4th year Food Market Analysis. I have chosen this major because I am interested more on the economics of the food related issues than then nutritional sciences of the issue. As our project is about the universal lunch program, I am hoping that what I learned in my major regards to food economics as we can approach more about the market and policy analysis of the project. My personal goal for this project is to be able to understand more about the system of lunch programs in BC and how I can relate to my major.

Outside of school, I enjoy going out to see my friends, cooking, baking and watching shows which allow me to de-stress and have a healthier lifestyle as well. If there is time, I also love travelling with friends and family, where I can experience the countries’ cultures, especially traditional food.