Week 13: Reflections

Standard

This is the first time I have been given the opportunity to critique the games I am playing, and I think it was a really rewarding experience. While Guild Wars 2 isn’t a game I would have picked up on my own, it was surprisingly enjoyable and really fun to examine. I think there’s a lot of room for developing this concept and bringing critical thinking in relation to video games into the academic environment, and I hope it will be explored more in the future. It feels as though this is the beginning of a new era in game design and I can’t wait to be part of it.

I think one of the most rewarding aspects of this semester was being able to examine games that I play currently along with games and experiences I have had in the past in the gaming community. It’s refreshing to be able to reflect on my experiences with a new look and be able to examine why a game was popular back in 2014 versus the games that are popular now. I almost wish I could go back to working at EB Games again just so I could have more access to games waiting to be critiqued and analyzed.

However, with ReFig underway and the exciting things coming in the Fall to UBC, I feel like I will have a wonderful opportunity to do just that, but with a focused group of peers excited to do the same. This is only the start!

All in all, it’s been a great semester with a lot of positive outcomes and not a lot of regrets. How can I complain when I’m getting credits to play a video game? I simply cannot.