Skip navigation

Pinterest is a truly ingenious channel when it comes to marketing. With four million unique daily visitors marketers can sell basically anything including food and drink, home decor, clothes, workouts, ideologies, etc. In March alone, Pinterest had over 2.3 billion page visits and is projected to account for 40% of all social media driven purchases. It is not only popular with personal users, but B2B marketers have also quickly realized its massive potential (of course, there are many “pins” on how to capitalize on this).

One of the most interesting tactics that I have found marketers use on Pinterest is humanizing their brand. The trick is to not only link your pins to your own website, but to use this opportunity to showcase the culture and unique interests of your company. Ensuring that you are displaying specific topics or subjects, rather than just your company, will drive visits and drive success. This major marketing scrapbook will make your visitors 10% more likely to purchase something, and also on average will spend 10% more.

Personally, I have been addicted ever since I started “pinning” in December 2011. It is this giant, human indexing machine that allows to express ideas and experiences you’ve enjoyed or wish to enjoy at some point in real life – including things you never knew existed. It’s really not surprising that 72% of Pinterest users are women, and at first I thought this might be a fault, however, 85% of all consumer purchases are made by women. I do think that this is partly to do with how they designed and branded the image of Pinterest, they simply didn’t not allow it to be very “manly” to “pin” something. However, women are driving household purchases, and despite having only 10 minutes to shine on the “new” page, you’d have to be pretty blind to not include Pinterest in your marketing strategy.