Nutrition – John Howard Society

Based on this population’s needs assessment, I collaborated with my dental hygiene student-team and the dietetics student to develop an informal nutrition session highlighting daily nutrition needs and goals and its impact on oral and overall health for John Howard Society (JHS) clients.1,2,4 This development and collaboration originated when I observed a nutritional counselling session with the dietetics student at JHS, where I assessed the nutritional health literacy of various clients. From this interaction, it was evident that there is a knowledge gap regarding food and nutrition, and its implications on oral and overall health.Thus, a need for this lesson was determined. With initial lesson brainstorming, I presented my lesson plan idea to my dental hygiene team, community instructor, the dietetics student, the JHS manager, and two JHS social workers. Together, we collaborated on the appropriate approach of the nutritional lesson, the activities included, the budget, and the need for this particular lesson within the community.

As the population of this site involves individuals with a history of incarceration, once clients have served their time, they may struggle to reintegrate back into society. Focusing on food services and nutrition, Correctional Service Canada has a developed an Acts, Regulations and Policy document outlining guiding principles and implementation protocols on the food and health services provided to incarcerated individuals within penitentiaries.However, what is classified by Canada’s Food Guide as healthy food, portions, and serving size to maintain a healthy and well balanced diet and lifestyle is not a standard met in many Canadian penitentiaries.Therefore, once individuals are released and working towards social reintegration, the struggle to meet basic human needs poses as a challenge.

This lesson plan was well received by all participants and clients upon lesson implementation. The initial rapport built between my team and the JHS clients and their social workers allowed for open communication in a safe setting. The opinions and comments presented by the JHS staff was highly considered when developing our lesson plan, and was in the forefront of our implementation when involving and interacting with the JHS clients. This interprofessional collaboration was well received by the JHS clients during and post-implementation of the lesson, as verbal and written positive comments were communicated to the dental hygiene team. With this, the specific qualities of professionalism were met:1

• Design and implement services tailored to the unique needs of individuals, families, organizations, and communities based on best practices;
  • Demonstrate ownership of the profession through community service activities and affiliations with professional organization;
  • Apply principles of risk reduction for client, colleague and practitioner safety, health, and wellbeing.
    • g. Provide information to clients about cariogenic and high fat food choices.

References:

1. Canadian Dental Hygiene Association. Entry-to-practice competencies and standards for Canadian dental hygienists [Online]. 2010 Jan [cited 2019 Apr 1]. Available from: https://www.cdha.ca/pdfs/Competencies_and_Standards.pdf
  2. Correctional Services Canada. Health services sector [Online]. 2011 Jul [updated 2012 Feb 3, cited 2019 Apr 1]. Available from: http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/health/002006-0005-eng.shtml
  3. National Post. ‘Yuck!’ Hungry offenders bartering sausages as prisons try to cut costs with new menu, ombudsman says. 2017 Mar 21 [cited 2019 Apr 1]. Available from:https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/prison-food
  4. Correctional Services Canada. Food services [Online]. 2000 Feb 21 [updated 2007 Jun 30, cited 2019 Apr 1]. Available from: http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/lois-et-reglements/880-cd-eng.shtml

Clients would learn how to categorize different food items into the four food groups

A client participating in the Canada Food Guide board game with the dietetics student and myself

A potluck of healthy snacks provided for the clients by the JHS staff