Getting off the sinking ship

David Hahn has been in the spotlight ever since he took the reigns of B.C. Ferries, but not for the right reasons. As Cole Routtenberg alluded to in his blog post, Hahn’s seven figure paycheck along with yearly bonuses has sparked public outrage— especially after the crown corporations continued decline in profits over a large span of years.

I strongly share the views of my colleague on the fact that Hahn has failed to do his job and rewarded himself while the public is unfairly left to deal with the exorbitant sailing costs.

Two weeks later, I wasn’t surprised to learn that Hahn had decided to go into early retirement at the end of the year, but not without his pension package of  $250,000, and possibly more, per year. However, he made it clear he was leaving on his own terms, which is quite a coincidence considering the growing opposition and yet another cost cutting program to decrease the $20 million shortfall.

As Hahn rows away from the sinking ship, I sit here thinking that a captain is supposed to go down with his ship or at least be the last one off. I guess he wasn’t a real captain.