Forever Superman

When I was in middle school we had to read an autobiography on a person of interest. I choose Christopher Reeve who was best known for his role as Superman in the late 1970’s. I was not very familiar with Christopher Reeve at the time and I chose this autobiography as I figured that such an actor would have a pretty interesting life. And did he ever.
Reeve was born into a wealthy family and grew up to be well educated attending both Cornell and Juilliard. He became Superman in 1978 and continued to do great things thereafter. In 1985 however, he was in a horse riding accident paralysing him from the neck down. He considered suicide as he felt that life without the movement of anything below the neck was a waste of a life, but was convinced that this would not be the case.
 After his injury Reeve became more than the Superman he had previously been. He started research programs and charities. He was determined to get better, even though such a feat was thought to be impossible. Reeve dedicated his life to helping those who had become paralysed.

Reeve accomplished more after his paralysis then prior to the accident.

I remember reading his autobiography and being amazed at just how the amount of dedication and passion one person has can create a drastic difference. He redefined what it meant to be a hero. A hero is not only someone who saves lives but is also someone who looks past the obstacles and will try anything in order to succeed or create change. A hero is someone who will do the impossible and make it probable, such as moving a finger even though one is paralysed from the neck down. A hero is someone who makes an everlasting impact.

Christopher Reeve is my hero.