Digital Story

I began this project by using Voicethread to create a story. Unfortunately my story soon became very PowerPoint-ish with the inability to add music or video. It then became clear that I had to search for a tool that allowed for the inclusion of at least music so I returned to http://cogdogroo.wikispaces.com/StoryTools and found Glogster. My initial reaction to what I saw was ‘I do not want to create a flat, lifeless poster’ but I was wrong about Glogster. As I began working I found Glogster had all of the necessary tools to create a story that satisfies the Seven Elements of Digital Storytelling discussed by Robin (2008). I can foresee using Glogster to replace an assignment for which students currently are asked to use PowerPoint. Glogster’s range of tools and its ease of use resulted in increased motivation for me and, I think, a creative, attractive and interactive final product.

My story is meant to get students involved (engagement), to increase their motivation for learning and to introduce them to the culture of pharmacy (no, we are not all emo – I mean the mortar and pestle, counting by five’s, etc.). I tried to create an example of what I would expect from a student. Rather than creating a static presentation for which the onlooker is a passive recipient of information, it was important to me to include audio, visual, and tactile components. Although there is a logical sequence built into the poster, viewers can choose to play the videos and music, or not, as well as to listen to the audio version or just simply read the story.

Technology, Pedagogy, Content Knowledge

Glogster fits perfectly into the Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPCK or TPACK) framework based on the learning theory of social constructivism. Robin (2008) describes TPCK as the connections between content, pedagogy, and technology. In this framework it is very important that all three components interact equally. Just knowing how to use the technology and not paying attention to either the content or how it is best used is not enough. Students need to be challenged with a meaningful task and be asked to focus on the “how and why” of the process rather than simply the amount of information accumulated. Another huge plus for Glogster in relation to social constructivism is that it is a social network. Students can easily connect with one another and share ideas and “glogs.”

Although Glogster worked well for my purpose here, I think I might use Glogster EDU in the classroom. Glogster EDU has been likened to a learning management system of sorts in part because it offers the added benefit for teachers to grade the work of students and to create a private site for a course.

Advantages
Sadik (2008) identifies the following five advantages of using digital storytelling in education:
*to provide more variation than traditional methods in current practice
*to personalize the learning experience
*to make explanation or the practicing of certain topics more compelling
*to create real life situations in an easy and cheaper way
*to improve the involvement of students in the process of learning (p. 490)

In addition, I think Glogster has the ability to improve students’ organizational skills and it has the potential to address, as Robin (2008) states, “21st Century Skills”; digital, global, technology, visual and information literacy.

Limitations
Besides the obvious problem that the technology may fail at anytime (Glogster crashed and kicked me out when I tried to use the audio recording function) it also takes time to learn a new technology. Often time is in short supply in my courses and I can only ask my students to do so much outside of the classroom. Assessing students’ work is another challenge that I see particularly for courses that currently rely on summative assessment such as math.

So, I would likely introduce Glogster as a required ungraded assignment. After all, Wesch (2007) makes it perfectly clear what we as educators must do. That is, use technology “in ways that empower and engage students in real world problems and activities.” Digital storytelling is but one of many ways to make it happen and there is no turning back now.

Alexander, B. (2006). Web 2.0: a new wave of innovation for teaching and learning? Educause Review, 41(2), 34-44. Accessed from ETEC 565 course site 4 July 2011.

Images retrieved from Google Images http://www.google.ca/imghp?hl=en&tab=wi

Kieler, L. (2010). A reflection: trials in using digital storytelling effectively with the gifted. Gifted Child Today, 33(3), 48-52. Retrieved 11 July 2011 from ERIC database. (EJ893806)

Lamb, B. (2007). Dr. Mashup; or, why educators should learn to stop worrying and love the remix. Educause Review, 42(4), 12-25. Accessed from ETEC 565 course site July 11, 2011.

Robin, B. (2008). Digital storytelling: a powerful technology tool for the 21st century classroom. Theory Into Practice, 26(1), 15-27. 47, 220-228. DOI: 10.1080/00405840802153916.

Sadik, A. (2008). Digital storytelling: a meaningful technology-integrated approach for engaged student learning. Education Technology Research and Development, 56(487-506). DOI 10.1007/s11423-008-9091-8.

Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK) image retrieved 10 July 2011 from http://www.tpck.org/

Wesch, M. (2007). A vision of students today (& what teachers must do). Accessed online 4 July 2011. http://www.britannica.com/blogs/2008/10/a-vision-of-students-today-what-teachers-must-do/

Leave a response

Your response: