Monthly Archives: April 2016

Planning for the Future

Throughout the ENGL 301 course, I learned many valuable techniques in order to enhance my technical writing skills.  My abilities to write to an audience in a professional manner has improve immensely and I am more aware of my writing and style communication.  The peer reviews were an excellent component in this course and valuable in helping me identify some of my recurring mistakes and weaknesses. For example, I have a tendency to use extremely long sentences and have unnecessary words in my writing.  I may have picked up this bad habit from writing courses that required a quota for the word count and wrote my ideas without being concise.  The peer review component helped me realize this weakness and allowed me to correct the habit in my writing.  This also gave me the opportunity to analyze my peers’ writing and identify common mistakes in their writing as well.  This course was practical and I feel that the knowledge I have gained through writing the different documents will be useful in any professional setting.

imgres

As a working profession and student, these skills will be extremely valuable in networking and building my career.  I have gained much more confidence in my ability to professionally express myself in a friendly tone.  Applying the valuable skills I learned throughout the course will still be a learning experience.  The process of writing and learning how to communicate effectively takes time to develop.  Even though I’m more confident with my skills, I feel that there is always room for improvement.

This course has taught me that writing is a process.  It is one that I will continue to develop far into my professional career.