Nov 10 / skys

Your First Reading Week?

In first year, I went to Grandview Elementary and did a fitness/teamwork project in the gym, where we included the school in different activities in the gym to help the students develop teamwork skills.

In second year, I went to Seymour Elementary and did a Japanese Culture Project with grades 3/4 students, where we helped them learn more about Japanese Culture while doing hands-on activities like crafts and calligraphy.

In third year, I went to Queen Alexandra Elementary and did a literacy fair project with the whole school, where UBC students went to different classrooms to do different activities revolving around the literacy theme and later had a literacy fair, where parents and teachers were invited to a showcase of the different literacy projects that were completed.

This year, I am going to be doing “Tech With Trek” at Beaconsfield Elementary.

Why do I keep coming back to do projects every year, you ask? Come find out!

Are you wondering what to do for Reading Week? Join other students on a Reading Week Project and do community service learning in a Vancouver inner city school. Projects take place from Tuesday Feb 15th to Thursday Feb 17th (8:30-3:30pm).

This year, IPP students will be doing the Reading Week Project at Beaconsfield Elementary. The project will involve 220 elementary school children and will involve literacy activities done on computers (aka “Tech With Trek”).

We have limited first-come first-served spots reserved for IPP students, so if you would like to participate in the project, please sign up ASAP and definitely before Nov. 30 so that you will have a spot in the IPP Project!

Sign up online at www.ubc.ca/readingweekprojects.

**IMPORTANT: When you sign up on the website and you are filling out the application form, when you get to

Choose the course or student group who you are participating with for Reading Week 2010 from the drop-down menu below. If you are not participating as a part of one of these groups, please choose “General…”.
* I am participating in a Reading Week Project through:

Please remember to choose International Peer Program!

[SKYS]