Rollercoaster Ride

While riding a rollercoaster –you may be screaming at the top of your lungs as your head is hanging down from the highest point, you may be crying as the wind forces itself on your face, or you may be laughing about how crazy that was by the end of the ride. A rollercoaster is the epitome of my emotions. Something that’s in and out of my control throughout the day and dependent on the situation.

After reading Aaron’s blog on Working Emotions it made me think of my experience while working at the UPS store this summer. I had the impression of a simple job with simple tasks as I laid foot into the store on my very first day. Everything seemed to have flown so well and being me, I faced everyone with a big smile on my face –was happy and enjoying my job because I felt that I had the knowledge to carry out each tasks to my fullest potential.

By the second to third week, that’s when it all hit me and my confidence was killed as my boss taught me how to print and customize special fliers–being the tech savvy person I assumed I was, I had information overload. I was expected to understand everything thoroughly off the bat while assisting in-store customers. Not only did I feel extremely bad about myself, but I also felt extremely overworked and pressured as we had gotten many printing orders via email. This pressure came mostly from myself, as a perfectionist I didn’t want to leave any trace of doubt that could backfire at me.

What I reflected from this experience is that it’s ok to feel scared and sad because everyone has to go through the learning process. It’s also important to pace yourself instead of setting a higher than achievable expectation.

1. Working Emotions -Aaron Mak 
  2. Langton, Robbins, Judge, Organizational Behaviour, 7th edition, p. 252.