About Me

Hello Comm 101,

I’m Ivan, 1st year student in UBC Sauder School of Business. Here’re a few things about me:

1. Age: 21. Read on and you’ll know why I’m so… OLD.

2. Born in Singapore.

This is where I call home.

3. Studied in Singapore.

Since birth. Primary school, Secondary School & High School. I graduated from high school in 2008, with an IB Diploma.

4. Served in the Singapore Armed Forces.

I was an Infantry officer. Held a rank of Lieutenant and served as a Company 2nd-in-Command of an infantry battalion. Singapore had a conscript national service; so boys like me had to do 2 years of service after completing high school so that we could get on with life in college. In my first year of service, I did my Basic Military Training and moved on to section leadership training. I topped the Section Leaders Course and was enrolled into the military institute (what we call Command School). I graduated from the Officer Cadet School and was commissioned by the President of the Republic of Singapore to be an Officer of the Singapore Armed Forces. In my second year, I served as a platoon commander of an infantry platoon, managing 30 riflemen under my charge; before being promoted to becoming a Company 2nd-in-Command where I led 108 men in the battlefield. My service ended in February 2011.

5. I’m a triathlete.

I love swimming, cycling and running. Ironically, I excel at none of them. Jack of all trades, master of none – An apt description of my performance in triathlons.

6. I love photography.

I do random shoots during my free time while recovering from trainings. Did a few basic courses and read a few books on it.

7. I hate blogging. I’m a technophobe. But there’re 10 more posts to go!