Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Meta

Response: “Restore civics to the college curriculum”

In reading this article I had a few thoughts about my own education and how it has affected my own personal views and behavior regarding democracy. The education I have received in the political science department at UBC has served to make me far more cynical about politics than I had been previously. I think it is one of those topics where ‘the more you know, the less you wanted to know’. This is especially true in taking units and doing research which pertains to the state of democracy, especially in the United States. In my nearly 4 years at the University, I have mostly been exposed to information which has decreased my perception that a fair and free democracy exists in Canada and the United States. The amount of power that special interest industrial lobbies have over policy makers, issues such as gerrymandering, reports of electoral fraud, the power of transnational corporations and financial institutions, and the military industrial policy making complex are all topics which my Political Science education has exposed me to, and have served to lessen my perception that democracy is working well. I argue then, that a political science degree might even discourage educated people from entering politics at all because the material learned in that education may make it seem like a futile exercise. When big business (as just one example) has such a massive degree of influence over our policy makers, it lessens the desire to run for office, vote, or participate in politics in any way. In fact it encourages going into commerce, as it seems commercial interests have, in many instances, more power than democratic ones.

That being said, a political science has definitely made me think critically about politics, and increased a student’s ability to critique news outlets, political statements, and better deconstruct the motives behind particular action. If the motivation to engage in politics is there, then civic educated students are in a far better position to effect change than, ‘the uneducated masses’ or at least more able to spearhead that political change. Therefore, despite the fact that i believe a political science education makes one more cynical about the efficacy of democratic means, it places these people in a position to understand a state of affairs and effect change.

In sum, the optimal way to increase civic participation would be to provide this sort of enlightening education but somehow include a subtext that democracy is the driving force behind a country’s politics. As far as my education has gone, it seems that the realist explanations of democracy are far more convincing than the idealist ones. Maybe its just me whose cynical, but if this is a widespread belief, which I think it may be, we can only encourage political participation by changing the situation which makes students disillusioned with democracy, or somehow change students attitudes through a different style of education which emphasizes democracy’s strengths as opposed to the ways in which it is deteriorating.

2 Responses to Response: “Restore civics to the college curriculum”

1. vthechan

I know you love arguments, but I have to say I very much agree with what you said,
    “I argue then, that a political science degree might even discourage educated people from entering politics at all because the material learned in that education may make it seem like a futile exercise. When big business (as just one example) has such a massive degree of influence over our policy makers, it lessens the desire to run for office, vote, or participate in politics in any way. In fact it encourages going into commerce, as it seems commercial interests have, in many instances, more power than democratic ones”.

I had the idea of being involved in politics prior to my university education. However, it seems like the more classes I take, especially those that speak of globalization, etc, the more I feel I should reserve it for after I attain a stable and rewarding career, like being a Lawyer.

2. jabrioux

That and in today’s economy, the room for arts degrees is dwindling somewhat. Law to me seems like such a generally useful degree, worst case scenario one could practice law, which isn’t bad at all. But it also indirectly opens doors to business and politics. It seems that a law degree helps people navigate through the red tape and actually get things done. A great number of influential people have law degrees and have never practiced. I feel like political science tells student the futility of civic participation, but law helps to open up channels which show how to navigate the system effectively