Janvi's Blog for COMM 484

Are the Words “Recyclable” and “Compostable” Enough?

The most exciting addition to the Sauder building this year would definitely be the installation of the UpMeals SmartVending machine in the CPA Hall. The delicious food from this machine has been the cure to my 2 am hunger pangs during the all-nighters I have pulled during exam season. As I spent the last few days of this term in this building, I was curious as to if UpMeals is just good for my hunger or is it also good for the environment?

The first search result that appeared when I googled UpMeals SmartVending machine was an article titled “UpMeals, the First Healthy and Sustainable SmartVending Meal Solution Launches in BC” which instantly made me happy as that’s exactly was I was hoping for. The article states the meals in the vending machines are “sustainably packaged”. Further exploring the website, I was trying to find more information about their sustainable endeavours, perhaps a webpage about their sustainable packaging. Instead, all I found was a small box labelled “Make a Difference” which mentioned that all their packaging is either “recyclable or full compostable”. This was a bit surprising to me because for a product that labels itself the first “sustainable” SmartVending machine in BC, I expected a lot more elaboration on how exactly they are sustainable. This would include giving more detail in to where they get their recyclable and compostable packing from, what do they do with the packaging of the unsold food that has gone bad – do they reuse the recyclable ones as the packaging is untouched?

Screenshot of the only sustainability information on the UpMeal website

Having concerns with the lack of detail or shared knowledge with consumers about sustainable packaging brings me back to our first client challenge with goodnatured. A striking pattern in all presentations was one of recommending the brand to be more transparent about their products and activities. This refers to rule #15 of  “The New Rules of Green Marketing” in which brands are encouraged to practice “radical transparency” to make consumers trust them more. Going off being radically transparent, we can compare UpMeals and VEJA (from my previous post) and how different their approach to marketing their environmentally friendly product is. VEJA hates the word “sustainability” and yet has detailed chapters about how its shoes and operations are geared towards helping the environment and on the other hand, UpMeals has “sustainable” in its first search result and yet gives us just one sentence about how sustainable they are.

Answering my own blog tittle, the words “Recyclable” and “Compostable” are not enough.

Sources

https://upmeals.ca/upmeals-the-first-healthy-and-sustainable-smartvending-meal-solution-launches-in-bc/

https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/ubc/reader.action?docID=646579

https://blogs.ubc.ca/janvisinghcomm484/veja-hates-the-word-sustainability/

«