Posted by: | 10th Feb, 2011

the inability of my generation to cook

As I was microwaving some leftovers for dinner last night, I realized that I only know a handful of people that are my age and can actually cook.  I don’t know if it’s because the majority of us have not moved out, and haven’t been required to cook for ourselves, or are we just lazy?  Either way, I think this would be an excellent opportunity to do an Segmentation-Targeting-Positioning analysis on the makers of Hungry-Man, Swanson Meals.

Segmentation: Food.  Everyone needs food, so the consumer base is enormous.  This means that there can be countless ways to segment this market.

• Demographics: Seniors that can’t cook for themselves anymore, adults that are too busy to cook, young adults that don’t know how to cook
  • Gender: Hungry-Man for the macho man, Healthy Choice for the healthy woman (Sorry for the stereotype :()
from sfweekly.com

Targeting: Let’s say that Generation Y is indeed inherently lazy (I wouldn’t disagree).  And that the guys will never learn how to cook.  Just think about the lifetime value of having a male Generation Y.  I think we found our target.

Positioning: Swansons has to decide on their marketing mix.  They are priced affordably for customers in this generational cohort.  The product itself is big enough (1 lb) to fill up most people.  They are placed everywhere, including grocery stores and supermarkets.  And lastly, they promoted in commercials during sport events on TV (even had their target customers in mind)!

Leave a response

Your response:

tags