Skip navigation

Just a few years ago, most of our online social activity was on Facebook. Many of us were active members of several Facebook groups and we used it to stay up-to-date on friends and family. However lately, our revolving life around Facebook has slowed to a crawl. Is it just me, or is Facebook dying down? For my account, I rarely post updates or add photographs anymore. During a quarterly earnings call this month, David A. Ebersman, Facebook’s chief financial officer announced that there is a “decrease in daily users, specifically among younger teens.” The comment confirmed that the service had become less appealing for a lot of its users. Even though it may still be the default social network for many people, but perhaps it isn’t as crucial as it once was during the hype. A question to ask is, “Are teenagers really crucial for Facebook to thrive?” Twitter was able to achieve market capitalization of $25 billion without a firm grasp of the teenage demographic. If teenagers are spending less time on Facebook, other users might follow that, therefore affecting the company’s overall potential to make money. For Facebook to bring itself back up to its peak again, it must come up with a new strategic way to attract its users.

Sources:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2013/11/17/business/17-BITS/17-BITS-tmagArticle.jpg