Application Letter

3926 W 11th Ave
Vancouver, BC V6R 2L1
May 30, 2022

ENGL 301 Classmates
University of British Columbia
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4

Dear ENGL 301 classmates:

Please consider my application for being part of your professional writing team, as advertised on the course website. I am a third-year student in the Bachelor of Computer Science (BCS) program, and I believe my experiences in collaborative writing will be a great addition to your team.

At my previous university, I worked for the school newspaper as a reporter and managing editor. As such, I am well aware of the principles of collaborative writing, which includes adhering to a specific style guide, proper formatting, revising and proofreading. My experience as a student reporter led to internships at a newspaper and marketing research company, where I continued to hone my writing skills in correspondence, formal reports, and other forms of written communication.

My professional and academic interests include new technology and startups, cultural/ethnic studies, popular culture, and higher education. I believe interning as a reporter and research assistant broadened my interests because both required studying various industries in different regional contexts. Although I lack professional experience in a specific field, I am positive that I could quickly learn any topic your writing team wishes to focus on.

I believe working as a team is a great source of learning and personal growth because it serves as an opportunity to exchange ideas, expand interests, and broaden perspectives. I sometimes find it difficult to express my opinion because I fear conflict, but I have come to acknowledge that healthy conflict often leads to increased productivity. As such, I believe it is important to set common goals that encourage open communication between team members.

I appreciate the time you have taken into reading my application. If you are interested in including me in your writing team, you can reach through my email at merikuri@student.ubc.ca.

Sincerely,

Jeemin Kim

301 Jeemin Kim Application Letter